Re: new member

  • caddycalais
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3 10:15 PM
      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "errol
      engelbrecht" <epengelbrecht@e...> wrote:
      > Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself..my names Errol and
      > got a mild custom 65 deville conv. Was wondering if anyone knew
      > where to find aftermarket and/or performance stuff for the 429 ?

      Try www.500cid.com
    • cad500ci
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2003
        hi guys:
        just joined the group. i got this link from the mts board. i am
        listed on that board as mario. my ride is a 56 gmc 1/2 ton pickup.
        started it in 1992. finished it in 1998, weekends only. 1970 eldo
        motor was rebuilt stock except for the eddy intake. homebuilt full
        length headers. the front end is a jim meyer front, mid 70's
        chevelle. the rear is a 1985 vette, 3.07:1. in 99 #8 piston decided
        to redesign itself so i had ross make up new 9.5:1. and rebuilt it
        again. presently i am hearing a weird sound coming from the odd
        firing bank. some mechanics have said it sounds like a wristpin. i
        have already changed the lifters and installed a custom shaft from
        al. but to no avail. the oil pressure is 50 lbs on startup then
        settles down to 35-40 at idle. the engine pulls good vacuum with no
        needle fluctuation. it rises steadily on acceleration and drops on
        deceleration. this month will tell the tale as i will be pulling it
        to look inside.
        ciao,
        mario
      • bill lutzius
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2003
          I found noises in the rocker arms.The rocker arm
          mounts can still be found and that seems to be where
          the wear is.They are 5 dollars.If you start it up and
          put your hand on each set of rockers you may find some
          very loose.I changed the lifters,push rods,and still
          had noise.Changed the rocker mounts and no noise.The
          rocker arms are no longer made.One side,left is
          gone.The right side you can find at the dealer or
          napa.

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • cad500ci@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
            hi bill(?):
            thanks for the information. i scrapped those pedestal mounts and installed a custom rocker shaft from mts. the noise still persists. however, it seems to be coming from a little lower in the block, if that makes sense?
            thanks,
            mario
          • bill lutzius
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
              These noises drive us crazy.I would still put a hand
              on the arms and push rods to check for a loose
              piece.Maybe a bent push rod.Its a ticking ?Maybe a
              exhaust leak.Fuel pump?
              --- cad500ci@... wrote:
              > hi bill(?):
              > thanks for the information. i scrapped those
              > pedestal mounts and installed a
              > custom rocker shaft from mts. the noise still
              > persists. however, it seems to
              > be coming from a little lower in the block, if that
              > makes sense?
              > thanks,
              > mario

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • cad500ci@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                hi bill:
                it is not a ticking. it is more like a loud thud. the noise first surfaced at 75 mph. it sounded like a dead lifter and then got louder. when i got off the freeway and shut down, the noise was still there but not as loud upon restart. the noise only appears after the engine oil hits 200 degrees. there is plenty of vacuum and the needle is steady. there is 50 psi oil pressure at startup then it drops to 30-35 at higher oil temps. i have not had the time to pull the engine yet but that is on the agenda this december. have to get it running for the new year, as it is a driver.
                thanks for all the suggestions. i'll keep you posted on what i findciao,
                mario
              • bill lutzius
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                  Good luck Mario,guess you could drop the pan and check
                  the rod bearings.I changed my rod bearings in the car
                  and it was not to hard.Sounds like you are more of a
                  motor head then me.Could be a loose converter
                  bolt.This could be a many beer job.Starting with a
                  6er.