Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Special Bodied car from the 50's

  • Al & Nona Evitts
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
      Daniel:  I think that car was known as a Cad Allard built by Briggs Cunningham  for SCCA and  what later became Trans Am  racing.  I think he later went to MOPAR power.

      FWIW    Al

      rustybottm@... wrote:

      Hi,

      I am looking for information on a Chrysler powered car that I have.

      Here is what I know.
      1. It was built by Joe Gertler of New York.
      2. It came with the rumor that it was built for Cunningham.
      3. Joe Gertler's Son tells me that it was Chrysler powered (he is digging for more photos).
      4. There was apparently a Magazine article written at the time.

      Below is are photos of the car being built in the early 1950's.

      If the photos are not visible or look like junk you can view them at the following webpage.
      http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/OldBody.htm

      Below is a link to photos of the body to give a better idea of its shape.
      http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/ItalianBody.htm

      Does anyone remember the car, or does anyone remember seeing the car in an article?

      Daniel

    • c322348
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        Doesn't look like an Allard to me. At least not the J2 which I think
        was the most common. They had open wheels with cycle fenders in the
        front.

        http://www.thomasspirit.com/allard.html

        There may be a later one with that body, but I don't know what it
        looked like.

        Brandon

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Al & Nona
        Evitts <albert@b...> wrote:
        > Daniel: I think that car was known as a Cad Allard built by Briggs
        > Cunningham for SCCA and what later became Trans Am racing. I
        think
        > he later went to MOPAR power.
        >
        > FWIW Al
        >
        > rustybottm@a... wrote:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I am looking for information on a Chrysler powered car that I
        have.

        > > Here is what I know.
        > > 1. It was built by Joe Gertler of New York.
        > > 2. It came with the rumor that it was built for Cunningham.
        > > 3. Joe Gertler's Son tells me that it was Chrysler powered (he is
        > > digging for more photos).
        > > 4. There was apparently a Magazine article written at the time.
        > >
        > > Below is are photos of the car being built in the early 1950's.
        > >

        > > If the photos are not visible or look like junk you can view them
        at
        > > the following webpage.
        > > http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/OldBody.htm
        > >
        > > Below is a link to photos of the body to give a better idea of
        its shape.
        > > http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/ItalianBody.htm
        > >
        > > Does anyone remember the car, or does anyone remember seeing the
        car
        > > in an article?
        > >

        > > Daniel
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > > click here

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05126181:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
        bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

        Service
      • rustybottm@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003

          Not an Allard, I had the pleasure of owning one a few years ago. This is a bigger car, plus construction is different than Allard.

          Daniel

          Evitts <albert@b...> wrote:
          >Daniel:  I think that car was known as a Cad Allard built by Briggs
          >Cunningham  for SCCA and  what later became Trans Am  racing.  I
          think
          >he later went to MOPAR power.
          >
          >FWIW   Al
          >
          >rustybottm@a... wrote:
          >

          >>Hi,
          >>
          >>I am looking for information on a Chrysler powered car that I
          have.

          >>Here is what I know.
          >>1. It was built by Joe Gertler of New York.
          >>2. It came with the rumor that it was built for Cunningham.
          >>3. Joe Gertler's Son tells me that it was Chrysler powered (he is
          >>digging for more photos).
          >>4. There was apparently a Magazine article written at the time.
          >>
          >>Below is are photos of the car being built in the early 1950's.
          >>

          >>If the photos are not visible or look like junk you can view them
          at
          >>the following webpage.
          >>http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/OldBody.htm
          >>
          >>Below is a link to photos of the body to give a better idea of
          its shape.
          >>http://www.danrapley.com/ItalianBody/ItalianBody.htm
          >>
          >>Does anyone remember the car, or does anyone remember seeing the
          car
          >>in an article?
          >>

          >>Daniel
          >>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >>click here

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05126181:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
          bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

          >>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service
          >><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &Canada. Click Here!

          Click Here!