472/500 in a motorhome

  • yelper4
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2003
      I'm new to this groupand I've really enjoyed reading all the info
      here. What I was wondering is , has anyone put a 472/500 in a older
      motorhome? With the torque they put out I think it would be perfect.
      Probably do a lot better than some of the new motorhome in power and
      mileage.
    • James
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
        I have a 500 Caddy in my 1978 Revcon FWD motorhome. It came
        originally with an Olds 455, but in 1996 we put this "slightly
        modified" 500 against an Art Carr Turbo and it has worked fine since.
        The power is good, but the economy is around 7 mpg. The motorhome
        weighs in around 14,000 pounds, though.
        I have not used it for the past two years, but it starts and runs
        perfectly when I warm it up every month or so.
        I'd recommend it.
        Jim
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "yelper4"
        <yelper4@j...> wrote:
        > I'm new to this groupand I've really enjoyed reading all the info
        > here. What I was wondering is , has anyone put a 472/500 in a
        older
        > motorhome? With the torque they put out I think it would be
        perfect.
        > Probably do a lot better than some of the new motorhome in power and
        > mileage.
      • Tom McKenna
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
          Jim:  What kind of mileage did you get with the 455?  and you say "slightly modified" - can you elaborate on that??

          thanks

          Tom

          <yelper4@j...> wrote:
          > I'm new to this groupand I've really enjoyed reading all the info
          > here. What I was wondering is , has anyone put a 472/500 in a
          older
          > motorhome? With the torque they put out I think it would be
          perfect.
          > Probably do a lot better than some of the new motorhome in power and
          > mileage.

          .
        • James
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
            Tom,
            It was around 5-6 mpg on the Olds. The Cad gets a little bit better,
            but not much.
            The engine was upgraded to TRW forged pistons, with a mild
            aftermarket "RV" cam. It was balanced and blueprinted with
            the "usual" rebuilding machinework done to the heads, rods and
            block. Stock cast iron exhausts with 2 1/2 custom pipes back through
            flowmaster mufflers. It has the stock intake with a carter
            thermoquad.
            Jim

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
            McKenna" <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
            > Jim: What kind of mileage did you get with the 455? and you
            say "slightly
            > modified" - can you elaborate on that??
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Tom

            Lexmark
            > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
            Canada.
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > .
          • Tom McKenna
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2003
              Thanks Jim - appreciate the information - I am considering putting one of these engines into my 3/4 ton pick-up that I use for car hauling.

              Kindest regards,

              Tom