Holley to TH-400 downshift switch?

  • Janne, Sean PO3
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2003
      Hello,
        I have a 472 in my 79 Deville, and it has a Holley 4150 on it.  I am not sure how to mount the stock TH-400 downshift switch to the Holley, if it even can be done.  Any ideas?

      Thank you,

      Sean Janne
      2000 STS
      1979 Deville 472
    • the_punisher_454
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2003
        You have endless options for mounting the passing gear switch.
        1. You can make a bracket to position a switch on the carb
        2. You can mount a switch on youre accelerator pedal inside the car.
        I had an 81 camaro that had such a switch that controlled little
        doors that opened on the hood.
        3. You can fix up a vaccum activated switch using a vaccum advance
        from a distributor mounted someplace out of the way. The
        possibilities are endless.

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Janne, Sean
        PO3" <sjanne@c...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I have a 472 in my 79 Deville, and it has a Holley 4150 on it. I
        am not
        > sure how to mount the stock TH-400 downshift switch to the Holley,
        if it
        > even can be done. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Sean Janne
        > 2000 STS
        > 1979 Deville 472
      • Janne, Sean PO3
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
          Hi,
            My problem is that the present switch on the car that mounted to the old Q-jet is electric.  It has a small arm that interlocks with the linkage on the Q-jet, but I can't figure out a way to mount it onto the Holley.
            I wasn't sure if there's an adapter to do this?  I believe the linkage bracket on my Holley is off of a Ford.  Would the switch possibly work better with the GM style bracket?

          Thanks, Sean

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
            Sean,

            If you can't fit your stock switch, and the options
            listed by the other poster don't suit, there are aftermarket
            switches. I'm pretty sure B&M has one. It mounts either
            in front or behind carb and uses a pull style cable
            affair. It is adjustable somehow.
            Dave

            Sean PO3" <sjanne@c...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > My problem is that the present switch on the car that mounted to
            the old
            > Q-jet is electric. It has a small arm that interlocks with the
            linkage on
            > the Q-jet, but I can't figure out a way to mount it onto the
            Holley.
            > I wasn't sure if there's an adapter to do this? I believe the
            linkage
            > bracket on my Holley is off of a Ford. Would the switch possibly
            work
            > better with the GM style bracket?
            >
            > Thanks, Sean
            >

            > You have endless options for mounting the passing gear switch.
            > 1. You can make a bracket to position a switch on the carb
            > 2. You can mount a switch on youre accelerator pedal inside the
            car.
            > I had an 81 camaro that had such a switch that controlled little
            > doors that opened on the hood.
            > 3. You can fix up a vaccum activated switch using a vaccum advance
            > from a distributor mounted someplace out of the way. The
            > possibilities are endless.
            >

            > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Janne,
            Sean
            > PO3" <sjanne@c...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > > I have a 472 in my 79 Deville, and it has a Holley 4150 on
            it. I
            > am not
            > > sure how to mount the stock TH-400 downshift switch to the
            Holley,
            > if it
            > > even can be done. Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Sean Janne
            > > 2000 STS
            > > 1979 Deville 472
          • the_punisher_454
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
              brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
              > Sean,
              >
              > If you can't fit your stock switch, and the options
              > listed by the other poster don't suit, there are aftermarket
              > switches. I'm pretty sure B&M has one. It mounts either
              > in front or behind carb and uses a pull style cable
              > affair. It is adjustable somehow.
              > Dave

              YOu could do the same thing with a kickdown cable from a THM350 or
              similar trans, or a TV(Throttle Valve)cable from a 700r4/200r4 or
              similar. just hook it up like a cable system and at the other end
              just have it pull on a switch or lever connected to a switch
              depending on what kind of switch you prefer. Total cost, a couple
              bucks at the most if youre a good scavenger.

              I had a factory switch on some manifold I used to have that was a
              push button mounted on a bracket right in front of the throttleshaft.
              It was VERY simple to adjust.