new member

  • nova50073
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
      ok i'm in. will put picture of my nova in here later. harley charlie
      in asheville NC
    • errol engelbrecht
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2003
        Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself..my names Errol and i
        got a mild custom 65 deville conv. Was wondering if anyone knew
        where to find aftermarket and/or performance stuff for the 429 ?
      • caddycalais
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3 10:15 PM
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "errol
          engelbrecht" <epengelbrecht@e...> wrote:
          > Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself..my names Errol and
          > got a mild custom 65 deville conv. Was wondering if anyone knew
          > where to find aftermarket and/or performance stuff for the 429 ?

          Try www.500cid.com
        • cad500ci
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2003
            hi guys:
            just joined the group. i got this link from the mts board. i am
            listed on that board as mario. my ride is a 56 gmc 1/2 ton pickup.
            started it in 1992. finished it in 1998, weekends only. 1970 eldo
            motor was rebuilt stock except for the eddy intake. homebuilt full
            length headers. the front end is a jim meyer front, mid 70's
            chevelle. the rear is a 1985 vette, 3.07:1. in 99 #8 piston decided
            to redesign itself so i had ross make up new 9.5:1. and rebuilt it
            again. presently i am hearing a weird sound coming from the odd
            firing bank. some mechanics have said it sounds like a wristpin. i
            have already changed the lifters and installed a custom shaft from
            al. but to no avail. the oil pressure is 50 lbs on startup then
            settles down to 35-40 at idle. the engine pulls good vacuum with no
            needle fluctuation. it rises steadily on acceleration and drops on
            deceleration. this month will tell the tale as i will be pulling it
            to look inside.
            ciao,
            mario
          • bill lutzius
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2003
              I found noises in the rocker arms.The rocker arm
              mounts can still be found and that seems to be where
              the wear is.They are 5 dollars.If you start it up and
              put your hand on each set of rockers you may find some
              very loose.I changed the lifters,push rods,and still
              had noise.Changed the rocker mounts and no noise.The
              rocker arms are no longer made.One side,left is
              gone.The right side you can find at the dealer or
              napa.

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • cad500ci@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                hi bill(?):
                thanks for the information. i scrapped those pedestal mounts and installed a custom rocker shaft from mts. the noise still persists. however, it seems to be coming from a little lower in the block, if that makes sense?
                thanks,
                mario
              • bill lutzius
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                  These noises drive us crazy.I would still put a hand
                  on the arms and push rods to check for a loose
                  piece.Maybe a bent push rod.Its a ticking ?Maybe a
                  exhaust leak.Fuel pump?
                  --- cad500ci@... wrote:
                  > hi bill(?):
                  > thanks for the information. i scrapped those
                  > pedestal mounts and installed a
                  > custom rocker shaft from mts. the noise still
                  > persists. however, it seems to
                  > be coming from a little lower in the block, if that
                  > makes sense?
                  > thanks,
                  > mario

                  Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                  http://companion.yahoo.com/
                • cad500ci@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                    hi bill:
                    it is not a ticking. it is more like a loud thud. the noise first surfaced at 75 mph. it sounded like a dead lifter and then got louder. when i got off the freeway and shut down, the noise was still there but not as loud upon restart. the noise only appears after the engine oil hits 200 degrees. there is plenty of vacuum and the needle is steady. there is 50 psi oil pressure at startup then it drops to 30-35 at higher oil temps. i have not had the time to pull the engine yet but that is on the agenda this december. have to get it running for the new year, as it is a driver.
                    thanks for all the suggestions. i'll keep you posted on what i findciao,
                    mario
                  • bill lutzius
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 26, 2003
                      Good luck Mario,guess you could drop the pan and check
                      the rod bearings.I changed my rod bearings in the car
                      and it was not to hard.Sounds like you are more of a
                      motor head then me.Could be a loose converter
                      bolt.This could be a many beer job.Starting with a
                      6er.