Re: 472 knock

  • bjrhupp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "drmenard2"
      <d.r.menard@v...> wrote:
      > An eazy mistake that has been made many times before, is mixing up
      > the bolts and putting a little longer bolt in the timing gear. they
      > stick out a 1/8 of an inch and knock when started up..if the noise
      > sounds like it's coming from the timing case ...this is your problem

      Do you mean the bolts stick out the back side of the flange of the cam and hit
      the block? If so why does it stop knocking after it starts. Will it hurt anything
      or just wear away and then stop knocking? Thanks for the input, Brian
    • bjrhupp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "bjrhupp"
        <lazyacre@l...> wrote:
        > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "drmenard2"
        > <d.r.menard@v...> wrote:
        > > An eazy mistake that has been made many times before, is mixing up
        > > the bolts and putting a little longer bolt in the timing gear. they
        > > stick out a 1/8 of an inch and knock when started up..if the noise
        > > sounds like it's coming from the timing case ...this is your problem
        >
        > Do you mean the bolts stick out the back side of the flange of the cam and hit
        > the block? If so why does it stop knocking after it starts. Will it hurt anything
        > or just wear away and then stop knocking? Thanks for the input, Brian

        Wouldn't it catch on the bolts when turning the engine over by hand. I turned the
        engine over a few rounds and it seems smooth. Brian