472 knock

  • bjrhupp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      I used the same bolts with locktight on the timing set. I also torqued the bolts
      on the torque converter and used locktight. Brian
    • drmenard2
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
        An eazy mistake that has been made many times before, is mixing up
        the bolts and putting a little longer bolt in the timing gear. they
        stick out a 1/8 of an inch and knock when started up..if the noise
        sounds like it's coming from the timing case ...this is your problem
      • bjrhupp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "drmenard2"
          <d.r.menard@v...> wrote:
          > An eazy mistake that has been made many times before, is mixing up
          > the bolts and putting a little longer bolt in the timing gear. they
          > stick out a 1/8 of an inch and knock when started up..if the noise
          > sounds like it's coming from the timing case ...this is your problem

          Do you mean the bolts stick out the back side of the flange of the cam and hit
          the block? If so why does it stop knocking after it starts. Will it hurt anything
          or just wear away and then stop knocking? Thanks for the input, Brian
        • bjrhupp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "bjrhupp"
            <lazyacre@l...> wrote:
            > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "drmenard2"
            > <d.r.menard@v...> wrote:
            > > An eazy mistake that has been made many times before, is mixing up
            > > the bolts and putting a little longer bolt in the timing gear. they
            > > stick out a 1/8 of an inch and knock when started up..if the noise
            > > sounds like it's coming from the timing case ...this is your problem
            >
            > Do you mean the bolts stick out the back side of the flange of the cam and hit
            > the block? If so why does it stop knocking after it starts. Will it hurt anything
            > or just wear away and then stop knocking? Thanks for the input, Brian

            Wouldn't it catch on the bolts when turning the engine over by hand. I turned the
            engine over a few rounds and it seems smooth. Brian