RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Help with 1978 El Dorado Barritz

  • John Brody
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2003
      Unless told otherwise, I have to assume that the floor pan is rusted
      through. Even the driest Eldo's I've seen have a rotted pan just above
      the cat where the Y-pipe meets. That will require some serious work --
      gutting interior, possibly dash assembly and engine/exhaust depending on
      extent. If it's carb'ed, I'm not sure what the ECM would be doing
      there; was it converted from FI? Either way, if you're going to be
      pulling the engine, you might consider throwing in a 500 while you're at
      it. It's a drop-in, the performance parts are pretty much the same, and
      you'll have more grunt when you're done. Parts for 425 or 500 from mild
      to wild can be found at www.500cid.com.

      One more thing: I've seen a lot of Eldo restorations started, but very
      few (almost none) finished. It's a lot of car, and will take a lot of
      time if you're not dealing with a pristine one to begin with. If you've
      never restored a car before, it will be a much bigger project than you
      expected. But if you do it right you can have a nice ride. Of course,
      you'll never sell it for half of what you put into it, so make sure you
      do it how you want it, and that you won't be strapped for cash at the
      end.

      John