472 knock when starting

  • bjrhupp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2003
      I have a 1973 472 with 90,000 miles on it in a street rod. We just got it going
      and have a loud knock coming from the front of the engine when starting it. The
      knock only knocks about 3 times as the engine is fireing trying to start, as soon
      as it starts, after about 3 knocks the knock is gone. It only knocks when
      cranking and fireing and stops the second it is running under it's own power. We
      put a new timing chain and gears on it before installing it. Could the knock be
      from the fuel pump? Thanks Brian
    • John Brody
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2003
        If you replaced the timing set, did you use the original bolts? I've
        heard of a knock coming from using bolts that are a little too long,
        slapping the block from the cam gear. Maybe this is happening at
        startup until it gets settled into the right position (?).

        John

        I have a 1973 472 with 90,000 miles on it in a street rod. We just got
        it going
        and have a loud knock coming from the front of the engine when starting
        it. The
        knock only knocks about 3 times as the engine is fireing trying to
        start, as soon
        as it starts, after about 3 knocks the knock is gone. It only knocks
        when
        cranking and fireing and stops the second it is running under it's own
        power. We
        put a new timing chain and gears on it before installing it. Could the
        knock be
        from the fuel pump? Thanks Brian

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • the_punisher_454
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2003
          I'm sure that this isnt youre problem, but I had this strange knock
          once that turned out to be loose torque converter bolts. I pulled a
          nice 455 Pontiac in My Trans-Am thinking it was a rod knock(evrybody
          else thought so too)turned out it was just the torque converter
          bolts. Always check this when trying to find the source of a knock
          that comes and goes depending on engine load.

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "John Brody"