Help with 1978 El Dorado Barritz

  • don_burrow
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hello gang,

      At the moment I'm contemplating restoration of a '78 El Dorado
      Barritz. Car has 95K original, engine has about half of that. Needing
      information on parts, tips, tricks, any ol' thing at all. Runs great,
      need to rebuilt the carb, figure out whether I'm going to keep the
      ECS stuff or yank it out. Anyway, just would like to reap the
      benefits of others knowledge and experience.

      Thanks in advance !
      D.
    • John Brody
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2003
        Unless told otherwise, I have to assume that the floor pan is rusted
        through. Even the driest Eldo's I've seen have a rotted pan just above
        the cat where the Y-pipe meets. That will require some serious work --
        gutting interior, possibly dash assembly and engine/exhaust depending on
        extent. If it's carb'ed, I'm not sure what the ECM would be doing
        there; was it converted from FI? Either way, if you're going to be
        pulling the engine, you might consider throwing in a 500 while you're at
        it. It's a drop-in, the performance parts are pretty much the same, and
        you'll have more grunt when you're done. Parts for 425 or 500 from mild
        to wild can be found at www.500cid.com.

        One more thing: I've seen a lot of Eldo restorations started, but very
        few (almost none) finished. It's a lot of car, and will take a lot of
        time if you're not dealing with a pristine one to begin with. If you've
        never restored a car before, it will be a much bigger project than you
        expected. But if you do it right you can have a nice ride. Of course,
        you'll never sell it for half of what you put into it, so make sure you
        do it how you want it, and that you won't be strapped for cash at the
        end.

        John

        At the moment I'm contemplating restoration of a '78 El Dorado
        Barritz. Car has 95K original, engine has about half of that. Needing
        information on parts, tips, tricks, any ol' thing at all. Runs great,
        need to rebuilt the carb, figure out whether I'm going to keep the
        ECS stuff or yank it out. Anyway, just would like to reap the
        benefits of others knowledge and experience.

        Thanks in advance !
        D.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/