Re: Ford FE rockers on Cadillac ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
      Punisher,

      Custom shafts and stands are needed for both the stamped
      Buick rockers and the iron fords. Rocker arm specialiies
      does it all. A fellow could build his own, but I doubt
      that it'd be worth the hassle.

      Btw - the ratios are a bit different on both the Buick
      and Ford setup. Lift at the valve is different than with
      Caddy rockers. Ford = more lift, Buick = less.
      Dave

      _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
      > So are you saying that you combine the ford shaft and stands with
      > the buick rockers then shim it and make custom pushrods?
      > Or are you saying that a buick assembly can be adapted for Caddy
      use
      > as well as adapting a Ford FE shaft-rockers-stands set?
      > I havent taken the time to examine the ford setup yet (Maby this
      > weekend).
      >
      > Thanks
      > The Punisher
      >

      > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
      > brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
      > > punisher,
      > >
      > > This firm supplies rocker assemblies to at least some
      > > of the popular hot rod caddy parts vendors;
      > >
      > > <http://shastacounty.com/rockerarm>
      > >
      > > They offer Ford iron shaft rockers, and stamped Buick
      > > rockers adapted to the 425/472/500s, as well as full
      > > rollers. Some shimming of the rocker stands, and special
      > > length pushrods are needed to set the geometry/pre-load,
      > > depending on the valve protrusion length on the engine.
      > > They may also adapt same to the older 390/429.
      > > Dave
      > >

      > > _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
      > > > I was browsing today and found some posts hinting at the use
      of
      > > FE
      > > > 390 shaft rockers on Caddys. My cadillac project is not here
      at
      > > home
      > > > right now and I dont have an FE here either to study. Fome the
      > > > limited pictures I have found in the internet it sure looks
      like
      > > at
      > > > least a close fit.
      > > > Anybody doing this right now? I'd realy like to find out what
      > all
      > > is
      > > > involved in the conversion.
      > > >
      > > > The Punisher
    • the_punisher_454
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
        I definatly be going with the ford rockers, I prefer high ratio's to
        low anyday!
        When the time comes I'll most likely end up going with the RA
        specialties setup, but in the meantime I might try to aquire an FE
        shaft assembly and do a bit of experimenting. I do get an extra bit
        of satisfaction from fabricating stuff for myself. It looks like the
        oiling may be one of the more complex issues? I can think of a few
        solutions. Does the RA specialties setup drill the rocker arms for
        pushrod supplied oiling? looks like a gundrilled shaft might also
        work if you wallow out the hole around the pedastal bolts so that oil
        flows around the bolt (dremel could do this easly). tap into the
        upper oilgalley and run a small hardline up to the shaft would be
        simple (but not so elegant as through the pushrods).
        I'll start playing around with it sometime in july or august when I
        have more time.
        Thanks for the info on the RA specialties setup. It looks a lot of
        guys are runnin them.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
          Punisher,
          Yes, they modify the ford rockers to oil from the pushrod.
          Not sure 'bout the buick deal. If you have access to machine
          shop stuff, I'm sure you can do it. For me, it was a better
          deal to buy from RAS.
          Good luck, and tell us how you make out.
          Dave

          _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
          > I definatly be going with the ford rockers, I prefer high ratio's
          > low anyday!
          > When the time comes I'll most likely end up going with the RA
          > specialties setup, but in the meantime I might try to aquire an FE
          > shaft assembly and do a bit of experimenting. I do get an extra
          bit
          > of satisfaction from fabricating stuff for myself. It looks like
          the
          > oiling may be one of the more complex issues? I can think of a few
          > solutions. Does the RA specialties setup drill the rocker arms for
          > pushrod supplied oiling? looks like a gundrilled shaft might also
          > work if you wallow out the hole around the pedastal bolts so that
          oil
          > flows around the bolt (dremel could do this easly). tap into the
          > upper oilgalley and run a small hardline up to the shaft would be
          > simple (but not so elegant as through the pushrods).
          > I'll start playing around with it sometime in july or august when
          > have more time.
          > Thanks for the info on the RA specialties setup. It looks a lot
          of
          > guys are runnin them.
          >
          > The Punisher
          >

          > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
          > brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
          > > Punisher,
          > >
          > > Custom shafts and stands are needed for both the stamped
          > > Buick rockers and the iron fords. Rocker arm specialiies
          > > does it all. A fellow could build his own, but I doubt
          > > that it'd be worth the hassle.
          > >
          > > Btw - the ratios are a bit different on both the Buick
          > > and Ford setup. Lift at the valve is different than with
          > > Caddy rockers. Ford = more lift, Buick = less.
          > > Dave

        • the_punisher_454
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
            Thanks I'll let you all know what I figure out When I get around to
            trying it. Unfortunatly I wont be replying to anyfurtherposts untill
            sometime in July. I'll be without internet access at home for the
            rest of theis month starting tomorrow. Thanks.
            Marvin Fugate (The Punisher)