Ford FE rockers on Cadillac ?

  • the_punisher_454
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2003
      I was browsing today and found some posts hinting at the use of FE
      390 shaft rockers on Caddys. My cadillac project is not here at home
      right now and I dont have an FE here either to study. Fome the
      limited pictures I have found in the internet it sure looks like at
      least a close fit.
      Anybody doing this right now? I'd realy like to find out what all is
      involved in the conversion.

      The Punisher
    • Trevor Pordage
      Message 2 of 8 , May 25, 2003
        i have been thinking about doing something similar with my 429 i had a s et
        of rockers off of a 331 which i thought i could adapt to fit all they would
        need would be a some shims to get the spacings of the rockers correct. but i
        talked to someone about it and they said that the 331 rocker ratio was 40
        thou smaller than the 429. you might be able to compensat for this using
        larger valves or regrinding the cam.
        trevor

        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2003
          punisher,

          This firm supplies rocker assemblies to at least some
          of the popular hot rod caddy parts vendors;

          <http://shastacounty.com/rockerarm>

          They offer Ford iron shaft rockers, and stamped Buick
          rockers adapted to the 425/472/500s, as well as full
          rollers. Some shimming of the rocker stands, and special
          length pushrods are needed to set the geometry/pre-load,
          depending on the valve protrusion length on the engine.
          They may also adapt same to the older 390/429.
          Dave

          _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
          > I was browsing today and found some posts hinting at the use of
          FE
          > 390 shaft rockers on Caddys. My cadillac project is not here at
          home
          > right now and I dont have an FE here either to study. Fome the
          > limited pictures I have found in the internet it sure looks like
          at
          > least a close fit.
          > Anybody doing this right now? I'd realy like to find out what all
          is
          > involved in the conversion.
          >
          > The Punisher
        • the_punisher_454
          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2003
            So are you saying that you combine the ford shaft and stands with
            the buick rockers then shim it and make custom pushrods?
            Or are you saying that a buick assembly can be adapted for Caddy use
            as well as adapting a Ford FE shaft-rockers-stands set?
            I havent taken the time to examine the ford setup yet (Maby this
            weekend).

            Thanks
            The Punisher

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
              Punisher,

              Custom shafts and stands are needed for both the stamped
              Buick rockers and the iron fords. Rocker arm specialiies
              does it all. A fellow could build his own, but I doubt
              that it'd be worth the hassle.

              Btw - the ratios are a bit different on both the Buick
              and Ford setup. Lift at the valve is different than with
              Caddy rockers. Ford = more lift, Buick = less.
              Dave

              _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
              > So are you saying that you combine the ford shaft and stands with
              > the buick rockers then shim it and make custom pushrods?
              > Or are you saying that a buick assembly can be adapted for Caddy
              use
              > as well as adapting a Ford FE shaft-rockers-stands set?
              > I havent taken the time to examine the ford setup yet (Maby this
              > weekend).
              >
              > Thanks
              > The Punisher
              >

              > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
              > brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
              > > punisher,
              > >
              > > This firm supplies rocker assemblies to at least some
              > > of the popular hot rod caddy parts vendors;
              > >
              > > <http://shastacounty.com/rockerarm>
              > >
              > > They offer Ford iron shaft rockers, and stamped Buick
              > > rockers adapted to the 425/472/500s, as well as full
              > > rollers. Some shimming of the rocker stands, and special
              > > length pushrods are needed to set the geometry/pre-load,
              > > depending on the valve protrusion length on the engine.
              > > They may also adapt same to the older 390/429.
              > > Dave
              > >

              > > _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
              > > > I was browsing today and found some posts hinting at the use
              of
              > > FE
              > > > 390 shaft rockers on Caddys. My cadillac project is not here
              at
              > > home
              > > > right now and I dont have an FE here either to study. Fome the
              > > > limited pictures I have found in the internet it sure looks
              like
              > > at
              > > > least a close fit.
              > > > Anybody doing this right now? I'd realy like to find out what
              > all
              > > is
              > > > involved in the conversion.
              > > >
              > > > The Punisher
            • the_punisher_454
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
                I definatly be going with the ford rockers, I prefer high ratio's to
                low anyday!
                When the time comes I'll most likely end up going with the RA
                specialties setup, but in the meantime I might try to aquire an FE
                shaft assembly and do a bit of experimenting. I do get an extra bit
                of satisfaction from fabricating stuff for myself. It looks like the
                oiling may be one of the more complex issues? I can think of a few
                solutions. Does the RA specialties setup drill the rocker arms for
                pushrod supplied oiling? looks like a gundrilled shaft might also
                work if you wallow out the hole around the pedastal bolts so that oil
                flows around the bolt (dremel could do this easly). tap into the
                upper oilgalley and run a small hardline up to the shaft would be
                simple (but not so elegant as through the pushrods).
                I'll start playing around with it sometime in july or august when I
                have more time.
                Thanks for the info on the RA specialties setup. It looks a lot of
                guys are runnin them.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Punisher,
                  Yes, they modify the ford rockers to oil from the pushrod.
                  Not sure 'bout the buick deal. If you have access to machine
                  shop stuff, I'm sure you can do it. For me, it was a better
                  deal to buy from RAS.
                  Good luck, and tell us how you make out.
                  Dave

                  _454" <punisher454@h...> wrote:
                  > I definatly be going with the ford rockers, I prefer high ratio's
                  > low anyday!
                  > When the time comes I'll most likely end up going with the RA
                  > specialties setup, but in the meantime I might try to aquire an FE
                  > shaft assembly and do a bit of experimenting. I do get an extra
                  bit
                  > of satisfaction from fabricating stuff for myself. It looks like
                  the
                  > oiling may be one of the more complex issues? I can think of a few
                  > solutions. Does the RA specialties setup drill the rocker arms for
                  > pushrod supplied oiling? looks like a gundrilled shaft might also
                  > work if you wallow out the hole around the pedastal bolts so that
                  oil
                  > flows around the bolt (dremel could do this easly). tap into the
                  > upper oilgalley and run a small hardline up to the shaft would be
                  > simple (but not so elegant as through the pushrods).
                  > I'll start playing around with it sometime in july or august when
                  > have more time.
                  > Thanks for the info on the RA specialties setup. It looks a lot
                  of
                  > guys are runnin them.
                  >
                  > The Punisher
                  >

                  > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
                  > brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
                  > > Punisher,
                  > >
                  > > Custom shafts and stands are needed for both the stamped
                  > > Buick rockers and the iron fords. Rocker arm specialiies
                  > > does it all. A fellow could build his own, but I doubt
                  > > that it'd be worth the hassle.
                  > >
                  > > Btw - the ratios are a bit different on both the Buick
                  > > and Ford setup. Lift at the valve is different than with
                  > > Caddy rockers. Ford = more lift, Buick = less.
                  > > Dave

                • the_punisher_454
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Thanks I'll let you all know what I figure out When I get around to
                    trying it. Unfortunatly I wont be replying to anyfurtherposts untill
                    sometime in July. I'll be without internet access at home for the
                    rest of theis month starting tomorrow. Thanks.
                    Marvin Fugate (The Punisher)