engine swap

  • smith
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2003
      i have a 57 caddy coupe deville, and i want to put an engine and
      transmission, from an 1981 Z28(350)automatic floor shifter. I was
      told that i could but just check on proper mounts, and stuff like
      that. And also the linkage of the transmission to the column shifter,
      and how would the speedometer read with having a different
      transmission. What changes do i have to do in order to put that
      engine in.
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2003
        I'd expect that Caddy to have a 2 speed auto, so your needle won't line up,
        and you will probably have to do some changes to the trans shift linkage.

        Speedo should read just fine. I'm pretty sure GM was using the 1K turns per
        mile then.

        Lots of changes. Electrical wiring will be different, motor and transmission
        mounts probably will be. Not just a drop in, for sure.

        Have you changed an engine before? If not, be sure you do some studying
        before starting it, even better would be to help someone do one.

        Be ready for flames, this is a CADILLAC performance list. CADILLAC engines.
        Big torque for big cars (and about anything else).

        - Scott
        > i have a 57 caddy coupe deville, and i want to put an engine and
        > transmission, from an 1981 Z28(350)automatic floor shifter. I was
        > told that i could but just check on proper mounts, and stuff like
        > that. And also the linkage of the transmission to the column shifter,
        > and how would the speedometer read with having a different
        > transmission. What changes do i have to do in order to put that
        > engine in.

      • Scott Pearson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2003
          The main disadvantage I see to the Northstar in his 57 would be the lack of
          torque. The cars they come in don't weigh near what an old Caddy does.

          How about a port fuel injected twin turbo 500? Built out of junkyard parts,
          of course.

          - Scott