1970 DeVille header and exhaust question

  • mroskothen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
      Hi, I am getting ready to do some work on my stock 1970 Coupe
      DeVille. First I want to put a 8-2 exhaust in it. I am wondering
      whether I should also put in headers? Which headers will fit into a
      stock DeVille? Is it worth the effort?
      Any recommendations on a new exhaust? Should I just go to the muffler
      store and tell them to put in a 8-2 exhaust? Any ideas on increasing
      HP with an exhaust?
      Thanks, Markus
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
        So you're saying you want headers and duals? Yes, this will increase power.

        I heard somewhere that some year of Chevelle BBC headers will work with the
        full size Caddy. You will, of course, have to cut the flange off and weld a
        Cadillac flange on them. I think MTS has them.

        I've never heard of an off the shelf dual exhaust system for these cars,
        since yours is pre-emissions, just find a muffler shop that bends pipe.

        Scott

        > Hi, I am getting ready to do some work on my stock 1970 Coupe
        > DeVille. First I want to put a 8-2 exhaust in it. I am wondering
        > whether I should also put in headers? Which headers will fit into a
        > stock DeVille? Is it worth the effort?
        > Any recommendations on a new exhaust? Should I just go to the muffler
        > store and tell them to put in a 8-2 exhaust? Any ideas on increasing
        > HP with an exhaust?
        > Thanks, Markus

      • bill lutzius
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
          Duel exhaust will make it run goooood.I would make
          sure they use stock type muffers.The free flow type
          are loud.You have to cut and weld the cross member.The
          gas tank is offset so the resonator on the pass side
          is a tight fit.Meaning it don,t.There is smaller ones
          that may fit better.Headers are a bad idea.
          --- mroskothen <mroskothen@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I am getting ready to do some work on my stock
          > 1970 Coupe
          > DeVille. First I want to put a 8-2 exhaust in it. I
          > am wondering
          > whether I should also put in headers? Which headers
          > will fit into a
          > stock DeVille? Is it worth the effort?
          > Any recommendations on a new exhaust? Should I just
          > go to the muffler
          > store and tell them to put in a 8-2 exhaust? Any
          > ideas on increasing
          > HP with an exhaust?
          > Thanks, Markus

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • caddycarlo

            > Hi, I am getting ready to do some work on my stock 1970 Coupe
            > DeVille. First I want to put a 8-2 exhaust in it. I am wondering
            > whether I should also put in headers? Which headers will fit into a
            > stock DeVille? Is it worth the effort?
            > Any recommendations on a new exhaust? Should I just go to the muffler
            > store and tell them to put in a 8-2 exhaust? Any ideas on increasing
            > HP with an exhaust?
            > Thanks, Markus

          • mroskothen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2003
              You have to cut and weld the cross member.The
              > gas tank is offset so the resonator on the pass side
              > is a tight fit.Meaning it don,t.There is smaller ones

              Do you have more details about the cross member? Any pictures?

              Another poster mentioned a company called 'flash'. Is there a phone
              number or a website? I checked MTS (http://www.500cid.com/) but I
              don't know yet whether they fit. I found one person who said that
              these headers will give you only around 10hp.

              Markus
            • bill lutzius
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 23, 2003
                The cross member that supports the transmission has a
                bend on the driver side so the exhaust pipe can pass
                by.What my muffer guy did was remove the cross member
                and cut out a part of the pass side and welded a cross
                section of 6 inch channel steel.So now it has room for
                a exhaust pipe on the pass side.I left off the
                resonators because the stock ones are pretty big and
                like i said it would not fit on the pass side because
                the gas tank is not centered in the car.I wish i had
                them.There are smaller ones and i would use them.I
                think i get 2 mpg better.Before the car went around
                105 mph ,now it hits 115 mph on the same road.Its
                running cooler i think.So its worth doing.I,d get some
                walker muffers or marymount muffers if i had to do it
                again.I,ll try to send a pic.Good luck cadillac
                brother.

                http://search.yahoo.com