[Cadillac_Performance_Association] Diesel Cadillacs?

  • Scott Pearson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 1:08 PM
      Just joined your list, cool to see Caddy performance on here.

      For a little background, I've done a few Caddy 472/500 swaps into Chevy
      trucks. I've had several 472/500 powered cars, always liked that engine and
      the cars.

      As far as the 5.7 diesels, they were a bad idea to start with. One of my
      customers has a collection of them, just loves them. If you put the updated
      head gaskets and head bolts in, they seem to last, though.

      I've often thought of swapping in a 94-2000 6.5 turbo diesel into one of
      these cars. Unless you happen to have the 200-4R with universal bolt
      pattern, you'd have to swap the transmission. I've had several 6.5TD's in
      trucks, currently have a 94 Suburban with a slightly modified 6.5TD. Even in
      that 7600lb beast, it moves pretty good (not like a 500 would, though). I'd
      think in a Fleetwood or deVille, that motor would have plenty of power.
      There would be some packaging issues, as the turbo hangs to the passenger
      side quite a bit. Might look into some of the vans, as they put the turbo at
      the rear of the engine.

      If you do think of playing with the diesel in these cars, be sure your use
      of it justifies this engine. If you drive 10 miles or less to work, the
      mileage won't pay for it. If you're doing it just because you think it would
      be cool, that's a different story. I'm sure anyone pulling up beside a
      rattling 82 Cadillac wouldn't expect to hear a turbo spool up!

      Scott

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10 9:57 AM
        I had a Cutlass with one of those 5.7 diesels in it, and had
        nothing but problems. It was a beautiful car that I sold for $200 in
        lieu of putting a gas engine in it.

        I wouldn't want any diesel engine that didn't have a
        turbocharger. Without it, you just can't get enough air into them to
        make power. I remember all too well getting tailgated going up hills
        at 30 mph, engine chattering like a rollercoaster going up a track.
        The only good thing about the diesel was that you could blast
        tailgaters with a smokescreen. I used to collect "smoking vehicle
        warnings" that I got in the mail from the MVD.

        -Denise (Densie) McCracken
      • Jacob Vogelpohl