Diesel Cadillacs?

  • Darren D. Wall
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello Fellow Cadillac Enthusiasts,

      I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask it anyway:
      What does everyone think of the Diesel Cadillacs offered in the early
      80's? I have been a diesel fan for years (Owned diesel Suburban, Truck,
      Audi, VW...) I know the 5.7L diesel had a very bad reputation, does
      the 6.0L offered in some Cadillacs (Fleetwood I believe) suffer the
      same problems?

      What's the reliability of these cars if given the proper updates to
      the engine. At this point I would think most of the engines have been
      rebuilt and been updated with the changes that fixed the reliability
      problems.

      donning my flame retardant suit...

      --
      Best regards,

      Darren D. Wall
      mailto:darrenwall@...
      Using The Bat!, Version 1.62i
    • Brad Stanley
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
        Caddy never offered the 6.0 diesel. You are thinking of the 6.0 gas of 80-81. The only good use of a 5.7 diesel is for the block to build a big stroker Olds motor from. Maybe adding a 6.2 or a 6.5 later model diesel might be the way to go if you are interested but none of the parts interchange

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003

          The best use of a diesel Cadillac would be to swap in a 500 in a state where smog inspection is only required for non-diesels (I know California is one).  I think this is what Jeff Schwartz did.

          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003

            The 5.7 diesel is a dog and should be avoided at all costs. Even in a country like France where diesel is (relatively) cheap and gas expensive, no-one goes anywhere near them.

            I don't know what was going through the GM engineers' minds at that time.

            'Let's take a standard 350, give all the bolts an extra couple of turns, and turn it into a diesel. Hey presto'.  The fact that the compression ratio went from 8.5 to 18 seems to have escaped them.

            The other diesel engines you mentioned are good, particularly the VW and Audi ones. But passenger-car Diesel engines are borne out of necessity - ie expensive gas, and that is something we have in Europe that you don't have in the US. I believe gas is over $2 a gallon in the US with the war now. I'm writing from Belgium, where unleaded is $4.45 a gallon. Diesel is $3.20.

            Think yourselves lucky.

             "Darren D. Wall" <darrenwall@...> wrote:

[...]

            Yahoo! Mail - For a better Internet experience

          • Scott Pearson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
              Just joined your list, cool to see Caddy performance on here.

              For a little background, I've done a few Caddy 472/500 swaps into Chevy
              trucks. I've had several 472/500 powered cars, always liked that engine and
              the cars.

              As far as the 5.7 diesels, they were a bad idea to start with. One of my
              customers has a collection of them, just loves them. If you put the updated
              head gaskets and head bolts in, they seem to last, though.

              I've often thought of swapping in a 94-2000 6.5 turbo diesel into one of
              these cars. Unless you happen to have the 200-4R with universal bolt
              pattern, you'd have to swap the transmission. I've had several 6.5TD's in
              trucks, currently have a 94 Suburban with a slightly modified 6.5TD. Even in
              that 7600lb beast, it moves pretty good (not like a 500 would, though). I'd
              think in a Fleetwood or deVille, that motor would have plenty of power.
              There would be some packaging issues, as the turbo hangs to the passenger
              side quite a bit. Might look into some of the vans, as they put the turbo at
              the rear of the engine.

              If you do think of playing with the diesel in these cars, be sure your use
              of it justifies this engine. If you drive 10 miles or less to work, the
              mileage won't pay for it. If you're doing it just because you think it would
              be cool, that's a different story. I'm sure anyone pulling up beside a
              rattling 82 Cadillac wouldn't expect to hear a turbo spool up!

              Scott

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003
                I had a Cutlass with one of those 5.7 diesels in it, and had
                nothing but problems. It was a beautiful car that I sold for $200 in
                lieu of putting a gas engine in it.

                I wouldn't want any diesel engine that didn't have a
                turbocharger. Without it, you just can't get enough air into them to
                make power. I remember all too well getting tailgated going up hills
                at 30 mph, engine chattering like a rollercoaster going up a track.
                The only good thing about the diesel was that you could blast
                tailgaters with a smokescreen. I used to collect "smoking vehicle
                warnings" that I got in the mail from the MVD.

                -Denise (Densie) McCracken
              • Jacob Vogelpohl