1985 Seville Engine Swap

  • Andysbeta
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hi all, I have a 1985 Seville which I have more or less "completed"
      the swapout of both engine and transmission. I have fitted it with a
      1981 368 Engine ("V8/6/4"). I was able to convert into a regular,
      everyday true V8 by removing the valve shutoff solenoids, and
      replacing them with regular rocker-arm bolts. The transmission, is
      now a standard TH-325, with a 1979 2.19 Eldo differential. When I got
      this car, it had both a bad TH-3254L and knocking HT4100 engine. This
      car is in immaculate cosmetic condition, and I decided I would get
      it, primarily for this type of swap. I am planning on installing a
      built TH-3254L later on down the road. Will the 368 Flywheel require
      drilling new torque convertor holes when I install the TH-3254L later
      on? So far , the swap has been doing very well. I have logged 500
      trouble free miles with this setup, and no computer codes are set,
      aside from the intial go of when I had to calibrate the TPS, etc. I
      dealt with the TCC lockup by making a jumper bypass "circuit" on the
      TCC connector that originally went to the TH-3254L, and only
      occasionally get a code 29 (shorted 4th gear circuit), but no
      "service soon" light like I had prior got to jumpering the TCC
      circuit. The car runs smooth, and it is getting 24.5MPG on the
      interstate, cruise control set @ 70MPH. So far, so good! I am just
      wanting to find out more info on the 4100 ECU unit, and if it will
      accomplish the last remaining feat from this swap: Pass california
      SMOG-II (dyno) test. So far, the 4100 computer has been able to
      easily accomondate the larger displacement 368, no knocking/pinging
      or anything to report. But can it do it well enough to make the car
      pass smog ? I have alot more questions, but I'll leave it at that for
      now. I truely enjoying this car, which runs smooth as silk but I sure
      hope it will pass smog. The whole purpose of this swap was the have
      one of these cars with the reliability of TBI and of course have a
      drive-train that is as reliable as possible, and yet get good MPG for
      the type of car it is. A tall order, which seems to be met with good
      success so far on my end. Regards, Andy