429 - 472 similarities

  • trevor Pordage <cadelect@bigpond.net.au>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
      i know that the 1967 429 is a one off make by cadillac but i am tring
      to find out exactly the differences.
      i was told by a parts supplier here that the rockers for the 472 are
      the same as the "1967" 429 but the posts are different can any one
      tell me what the difference is. does any one think that it might be
      possible to modify a 472 post or does any one know where i can get
      ney posts and rockers i probably dont need a full set as i will reuse
      the ones i have got that arn't damaged
    • bill lutzius
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
        On my 472 i looked high and low for new rocker
        arms.The posts for the 472 i could get new for 5
        dollars each.New posts will fix your ticking.I think
        thats the wear point. The rockers come left and right
        side.I was able to get the right side from the
        dealer.But only one left side rocker.Every one has
        stopped makeing the rocker arms.You can call around
        and maybe find some old stock in a ware house.SEALED
        POWER # for rockers,R-891,R-892.I think R-891 is
        left.R-892 is right.GM # is 1487268 right side.The
        left side is #1487269,i think.The post # i have for a
        472 is MR-1914 sealed power but you say 429 is
        different.No problem,have the bottom of your posts
        milled ten thousands.Really a surface grinder will
        take the ten thousands off better,at a real machine
        shop.If you grind the posts this will stop the ticking
        noise with out buying any thing.Before i found any
        parts new i got some rockers from the junk yard and
        found ones that worked with no noise by swaping them
        around.Nothing wrong with that.I have 7 right side new
        that i don,t need.I ordered 8 left and got 7 right.I
        already had 8 right!So if you want them let me
        know.Good luck cadillac brother.
        --- "trevor Pordage <cadelect@...>"
        <cadelect@...> wrote:
        > i know that the 1967 429 is a one off make by
        > cadillac but i am tring
        > to find out exactly the differences.
        > i was told by a parts supplier here that the rockers
        > for the 472 are
        > the same as the "1967" 429 but the posts are
        > different can any one
        > tell me what the difference is. does any one think
        > that it might be
        > possible to modify a 472 post or does any one know
        > where i can get
        > ney posts and rockers i probably dont need a full
        > set as i will reuse
        > the ones i have got that arn't damaged

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • John Brody
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003

          Finding 472/500 rockers should not be a problem – there are a lot of us running shaft rockers from MTS, so therefore we have complete sets of the stock kind laying around our garages and basements.  I have a full set from a 50k mile ‘76 I’d be willing to let go of.  If you buy from a fellow Cadder you’ll probably pay less than at a parts dealer, or maybe even a junkyard too.  So if, as Bill says, the 472/500 rockers can be swapped in with a grind job, you should be fine.  Try posting on the tradeboard at http://members.boardhost.com/BadCad and you should get a few responses.

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "John Brody"
            <jbrody@z...> wrote:
            > Finding 472/500 rockers should not be a problem - there are a lot
            of us
            > running shaft rockers from MTS, so therefore we have complete sets
            of
            > the stock kind laying around our garages and basements.

            thanks john
            sorry i have taken so long to reply. i still dont know what to do as
            i am in australia its a bit hard to do trial and error stuff.
            what i would like to know is how these shaft rocker systems work with
            the 472/500 engines. i have a set of 331 rockers and the machine shop
            thinks we should be able to adapt them for my 429. we just need to
            make sur ethat oil can get to the shafts. there seems to be an oil
            gallery into one of the rocker post bolt holes so oil should flow up
            around the bolt we just might have to machine a grove in the side of
            the bolt stem.

            any thoughts and info would be appreciated

            trevor 67 hearse