Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Digest Number 117

  • hottrod the man behind the wheel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Just an opinion based on a lot of years of
      experience working on other people's vehicles and my
      own - -1) more sensors are required for EFI systems
      and other associated electronic stuff that just loves
      to fail at the worst possible time; 2) unless
      everything is brand new sensors tend to go out of
      calibration, even under normal use, let alone rough
      4x4 use, which results in no better fuel mileage, and
      sometimes worse, than what a carbureted engine will
      give you; 3) The cost of keeping everything in "like
      new" condition with electronic systems is even more
      expensive than that of a carbureted engine when
      figuring money spent on gasoline versus repairs to the
      elctronics

      I just do not like electronic systems because they
      have been nothing but problems in the past. And the
      cost to fix them has been very high, compared to the
      old points and condenser systems such as when the 500
      Caddy came out, in 1970.

      I plan to drop a 1970 Caddy engine in one of my 1959
      Cadillacs, which I bought without an engine many years
      ago. Both the 472 and 500 of that year had
      high-compression and result in that much more power.
      Since it is a car I am going to keep, I am not
      concerned with going back to the original 390 cid.

      I would just add an extra fuel tank or two if you
      won't be near a gas station. One example of getting
      decent mileage with, in my case, a 425 cu in Olds
      engine is 17.5 mpg on the highway. Changed to .008
      bigger jets for a little better low end response and
      the highway mileage went down to 14. This was in a
      5000 pound car. But anytime you call for power, such
      as in a 4x4 off road application, you're not going to
      get good mileage with basically anything. Off road
      conditions being what they are, miles per gallon
      doesn't mean anything, rather one should switch to the
      "gallons per hour" of figuring fuel consumption.

      I don't know, maybe some of you have had great luck
      with EFI and computers and the related electronic
      systems which vary greatly, but I have seen people
      have nothing but grief with them and major expense.
      Just somethin' for ya to consider.......

      hottrod
      --- Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com