Re: Was: A ? For The Ole Timers.... Now: EFI

  • j6gunz <j6gunz@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
      > The best way to do what you are considering is to buy
      > a complete car (cadi) and remove everything you need
      > for the swap.

      Already have EFI donor

      > I'm still trying to figure out how "economy" figures
      > in any equation involving 500 cubic inches.

      I know the word "economy" seems funny when talking about these
      engines. I should probably say "efficiancy" instead. In my 4X4
      application I wont have a gas station nearby all the time. This is
      also one of the reasons I would like to pursue the EFI option.

      I called Al a while back, but must have caught him at a busy time. He
      didn't seem to want to discuss my project at the time. I'm not ready
      to buy parts yet. When I am. I'll try him again.

      Thank you
      John
    • mpascino_ny <pascim@rpi.edu>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2003
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "j6gunz
        <j6gunz@y...>" <j6gunz@y...> wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > Do you have any experiance with the factory EFI on the '75 500?
        >
        > I was wondering how capable this system is in handling compression,
        > camshaft or valve changes?
        >
        > The engine will be used in a 4X4 application. Reliability, economy
        > and torque are the priorities.
        >
        > Thank you
        > John

        I am currently collecting parts for this EFI setup but I can say
        this. I have the same EFI setup on my olds 350 motor. The motor is
        mostly stock with exception of a mild cam. The system uses three
        sensors to operate, a TPS, air temp, and water temp. There is no O2
        sensor. There is a fast idle "thermal" switch to idle the engine
        down after warm up. There is also another solinode that allows more
        air to flow and increase engine idle when the air conditioning and
        polution equipment is in use. The TPS works off of sequential
        electrical contacts, not resistance like newer systems. While others
        back in the day complained of problems with this analog efi system, I
        am very please with it. Injector size, 2 ohms, on my 350 is 40.6
        lb/hr. I believe the 500 injectors at 70 ish lb/hr. Keep in mind
        with this being an analog setup the injectors sizes are usually twice
        of that you might find on more modern systems. The injectors are
        triggered in banks by two magnetic reed switches in the base of the
        distributor. One thing you could do to alter the richness of the
        system is add or replace the temp sensors with different resistance
        values. Lower resistance, simulating a colder engine, more fuel.
        This generally isn;t a problem if the final resitance values are
        within reason. I have done this myself and it is fine for minor
        differences in amounts of fuel injected. As in any EFI, you can
        always increase the fuel pressure to get more fuel. As long as you
        don't drastically change the power curve I would think you would be
        fine with one of these systems. Hope this helps,
        Mike