ht4100

  • jesse foulk
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
      i own a cadillac wtih the ht4100 engine in it. Everything works fine
      but something is missing on the front of the engine. It should be
      located on the left side of the engine bolted to the front of the
      head and it looks like a belt went around it driven by the power
      steering pump. The previous owner I guess took it off for some
      reason, i dont know.

      For anyone who knows what im talking about please reply.
    • mpascino_ny <pascim@rpi.edu>
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
        That is for the vacuume pump, you don't really need it. They had a
        habbit of dieing and creating a knocking sound similar to an engine
        knock. As long as your vacuume pressure is okay, I wouldn't worry
        about it.
        Mike

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "jesse

      • littlelies872003 <littlelies872003@yahoo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2003
          foulk" <jessefoulk@h...> wrote:
          > i own a cadillac wtih the ht4100 engine in it. Everything works
          fine
          > but something is missing on the front of the engine. It should be
          > located on the left side of the engine bolted to the front of the
          > head and it looks like a belt went around it driven by the power
          > steering pump. The previous owner I guess took it off for some
          > reason, i dont know.
          >
          > For anyone who knows what im talking about please reply

          I disagree with the fact that you dont need it. I had the vacuum pump
          fail on my 83 eldo with the HT4100 engine at 115,000 miles. I was
          told that I didn't need it so the drive belt was removed and the pump
          left in place. The next few days I started noticing specific changes
          in the car. The cruise control could not maintain speed on hills,
          even little ones, the brake booster was not working as well as it had
          before the climate control air mixing doors would direct air to the
          floor ducts at near full throttle and The engine would ping terribly
          at anything past 3/4 throttle because there was insufficient vacuum
          to operate the EGR valve. The cheapest I could find this pump was at
          Autozone for $99.00. I was tempted to just deal with the problems for
          that price, but I bit the bullet and got one. I am very glad that I
          did. Everything is back to normal and running perfectly!
        • littlelies872003 <littlelies872003@yahoo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2003

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2003