1958 365 engine

  • fdo_hidalgo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2010
      I am restoring my 1958 caddie biarritz for concours
      Please advice

      I bought 2 engines:

      1 Has been rebored at .030 with a .003 tolerance. It seems
      to me that it only needs piston rings , bearings , and gaskets..

      2 The cylinders are std but the cylinder wear (tolerance) is at .008 Option 1 just replace std rings and bearings
      Option 2 reboring to use .020 pistons and rings
      Option 3 cylinder sleeving to get it again to min tolerances in STD leave it std?

      Which will be better for a concours car and which engine components
      do you recommend me to replace..?

      Is the car more valuable if the engine is STD?

      Is an Std engine as reliable as a rebored one?

      Any issues with the HP or the engine working temperature?>

      More engine questions

      Which type of heads exist originally for the 365 engine ( I have heard that low and high compression ) How do I Distinguish them ?
      By the casting number?

      Any experiences with the mild mod cam?

      Any good source for the realiable and nor so expensive engine parts?

      Best Regards
      Fer
    • hottrod the man behind the wheel
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2010
        Hello,

        See below for some answers to your questions:

        I am restoring my 1958 caddie biarritz for concours
        Please advice

        I bought 2 engines:
        What happened to your original engine?

        1 Has been rebored at .030 with a .003 tolerance. It seems
        to me that it only needs piston rings , bearings , and gaskets..

        2 The cylinders are std but the cylinder wear (tolerance) is at .008 Option 1 just replace std rings and bearings
        Option 2 reboring to use .020 pistons and rings
        Option 3 cylinder sleeving to get it again to min tolerances in STD leave it std?

        Which will be better for a concours car and which engine components
        do you recommend me to replace..?

        Is the car more valuable if the engine is STD?

        Is an Std engine as reliable as a rebored one?

        Any issues with the HP or the engine working temperature?>

        No, not if your radiator is in good condition. Have the engine's bores honed with a 220 grit stone, no coarser than that, the rings seat more quickly.  Some shops hone the bores with a 100 grit stone, and the engine uses oil for about 10,000 miles and runs hotter because of the increased friction.  I only use the 220 stones on my engines for the last 35 years.
        For concours, to be absolutely sure, I would stay with the standard bore.  .008 won't be a problem with new rings. I have never had a problem with doing this.  The only time you would have to have an engine dry sleeved back to standard would be if you were at .060 (usual rule of thumb maximum overbore) and still had excessive piston to wall clearance).

        More engine questions

        Which type of heads exist originally for the 365 engine ( I have heard that low and high compression ) How do I Distinguish them ?
        By the casting number?

        The only compression ratio listed in Motor's Manual is 10.25 to 1 compression.  With tri-power option you might have have slightly bigger intake valves for that option. A possible exception to that is if the car was made for export, around those years they had a lower compression option such as 8 to 1 because other countries did not have high octane gasoline available in those years.  Sometimes to compensate a thicker head gasket was used for export also.

        Any experiences with the mild mod cam?

        I would stick with the standard cam.  A heavy car needs to have maximum torque on the low end of rpm's.  Too much increase in cam duration destroys fuel mileage and makes the car slower from takeoff unless you have a higher stall speed torque converter.  Any cam duration that exceeds about 240 degrees duration will tend to start having a "raggy" idle.  Either use the standard cam or I think a separate cam is listed for the Eldorado with tri-power option, I would use either one of those two only.

        Any good source for the realiable and nor so expensive engine parts?

        Go to http://ebay.com  they often have piston rings and bearings, or you can likely do one-stop shopping at
        Northwestern Auto Parts, 1101 S. Division St., Grand Rapids, Michigan.  I think their website is at
        http://northwesternauto.com   You can Google them if that isn't right.

        I have built engines for 44 years - - feel free to contact me any time, my website is at http://antiquecarrestoration.webs.com

        Also be advised that with a new camshaft and lifters, you need to use the special zinc additive to add to oil because the government made oil manufacturers remove most of the zinc from engine oil.  Otherwise, it is possible that you will wear off the cam lobes in a short time. New cars are using roller lifters, that is the difference.  It is about $10.00 per bottle per oil change.

        I am not sure what year Cadillac stopped matching the engine number to the VIN number of the car, I have heard that the engine number is supposed to match the number on the frame, on the left side of the frame.  Something you might want to check if you are going for concours condition. My e-mail is hottrodscars@...  if you have some more questions.

        Lance Fontanne, Rockford, IL.

        Best Regards
        Fer