Great club/my project

  • evildudeprod
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
      Hey, thanks for making this club! A great idea, especially for
      posting pics and stuff.

      I've read the MTS message board for 6 months or so now, haven't
      posted much, but have learned quite a bit!

      I'm 18 and my first car, which is my project car at the same time, is
      a 1979 Olds Cutlass Supreme. I was going to rebuild the old 305
      chevy in it and mount a swap-meet obtained TPI system on it.
      But than I was looking for parts at my local junkyard one day,
      and lifted the hood of a caddy next to a G- body parts car and saw
      the biggest widest meanest looking v8 ever in it, and saw a ID tag
      next to the radiator that said "500 CI" on it.
      I was awestruck, so I ran home, typed "caddy 500" into a serch
      engine, found the MTS website, and learned a lot about this beast. I
      had to get it, hell with the 305. so within a week I had it.
      Best of all, the engine only had 60 thousand miles on it,
      teardown revealed the nicest cylinder bores I've ever seen and almost
      no wear to anything. All I plan on doing to the cad to start with is
      rebuild it with nothing but a gasket set, portmatch the intake an
      exhaust, MTS timing set and a 1" carb spacer. Once it's running,
      I'll add performance parts such as cam and headers when I want more
      power.

      I posted a pic to the album, of the 500 on an engine stand next to
      the old cutlass.

      -Travis Stewart
    • tremorj10
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
        Travis,
        Glad you haven't taken the Import or Mustang route that is so popular
        with today's youth. Guess your friends thought you were nuts when
        you mentioned "Cadillac" and "Performance" in the same sentence!

        There was a guy that posted a link on the MTS board on doing a G-body
        conversion. Had lots of nice pics and tips. I lost the link but
        maybe someone else still has it.

        You might want to think about milling the valve guide towers down
        about .100" while you have the heads off. This will save you from
        having to pull the heads again when you go with a bigger cam. I've
        also seen a couple guys post that they just used a grinder.

        I also recommend buying your parts from MTS rather than PAW or some
        other place. I know that MTS may be a bit higher in price but the
        sales and tech people at these places know nothing about Cadillacs.
        If you buy from MTS you can call Al and get answers from possibly the
        best Caddy guy in the world. He'll also tailor your rebuild kit to
        your particular needs. If we were talking about a 350 Chevy, I'd say
        buy from whoever has the best price.

        Anyway, good luck with the project and keep us up to date.

        Joe Oiler
      • evildudeprod
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
          Definately. My town is swarming with nearly identical fox-body
          mustangs with identical still unpainted useless cowl hoods and the
          same flowmaster exhaust.
          My car will be built to embarass these sort of people.
          The car is big and ugly, body and paint is a priority only after the
          engine and drivetrain is complete. It'll run a 3" single exhaust,
          and it'll look stock and ugly under the hood, and for the time being
          I'll use the factory filter housing, though fitted with a k&n unit.

          I plan on milling .030 off the heads, I've heard that will boost
          compression to 8.8-1? this is a '74 500 with HEI by the way. I plan
          on buying as much as I can from MTS, I own his tech guide and will
          get his catalog soon.

          -Travis

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "tremorj10"
          <JOEOILER@A...> wrote:
          > Travis,
          > Glad you haven't taken the Import or Mustang route that is so
          popular
          > with today's youth. Guess your friends thought you were nuts when
          > you mentioned "Cadillac" and "Performance" in the same sentence!
          >
          > There was a guy that posted a link on the MTS board on doing a G-
          body
          > conversion. Had lots of nice pics and tips. I lost the link but
          > maybe someone else still has it.
          >
          > You might want to think about milling the valve guide towers down
          > about .100" while you have the heads off. This will save you from
          > having to pull the heads again when you go with a bigger cam. I've
          > also seen a couple guys post that they just used a grinder.
          >
          > I also recommend buying your parts from MTS rather than PAW or some
          > other place. I know that MTS may be a bit higher in price but the
          > sales and tech people at these places know nothing about
          Cadillacs.
          > If you buy from MTS you can call Al and get answers from possibly
          the
          > best Caddy guy in the world. He'll also tailor your rebuild kit to
          > your particular needs. If we were talking about a 350 Chevy, I'd
          say
          > buy from whoever has the best price.
          >
          > Anyway, good luck with the project and keep us up to date.
          >
          > Joe Oiler
        • wildcatkit52
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
            I had a very similer experiance... I Bougt a 82 S-10 with a 305 in
            it, and it started knocking. I was about to find a 350 for it when I
            LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD OF THE '70 deville in my father's yard.
            Needles to say My friends and I have started the Cad-10 Project.
            after I ge the motor and the frame married, I will do the firewall
            modifications as needed before painting the body. I found out all my
            info for this motor on two different sites after looking it up with a
            search engine,(www.cad500parts.com and www.500cid.com) both of which
            have great info. Cad Company has a catalog that you can download. I
            will post pictures of the project as it goes. Good luck on yours!

            Wildcatkit52