RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Steering shaft too close the the exhaust on my Chevelle

  • Pollorey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2002
      Is there any reason the engine couldn't be tilted to one side? Would it
      help in this case? Would it screw up the rest of the clearances?

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "Pollorey"
        <philsfcs@n...> wrote:
        > Is there any reason the engine couldn't be tilted to one side?
        Would it
        > help in this case? Would it screw up the rest of the clearances?

        Hey there! A possible solution which I would try is to add a u-joint
        to the steering shaft, an extra one, available at farm stores, you
        would have to cut and weld the steering shaft to the extra u-joint
        but that would prob give you enough extra clearance. As far as
        tilting the engine, that would upset the float levels in the
        carburetor, enough so you may have a problem, so I think
        rerouting/repositioning the steering shaft would be the best bet.

        I just now joined, didn;t know this club was around, I am a private
        collector and total gearhead in northern IL (Rockford). I have about
        70 different antique cars stuffed in my buildings, I am going to
        offer a few of them for sale, a lot are unrestored but should run, as
        they were running when parked. The trannys are all good. What I have
        for sale now is:

        '68 Cadillac SDV - $900
        '72 Cadillac ambulance, Miller Meteor $900
        '70 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine $900
        '62 Cadillac Coupe $900
        '69 Chevy Corvair $900
        '59 Chevy heavy 3/4 ton pickup $900
        '79 Firebird Espirit, no engine or trans $500
        '86 Dodge Daytona Turbocharged, needs timing reset $500
        '79 Mercury Cougar XR7 - needs timing chain $500
        '68 Lincoln, suicide doors, 4 dr., high compression 460 engine $900
        '78 Peterbilt Tractor, 3406 Caterpillar, 13 speed, engine trans and
        rears are fine, needs minor maintenance such as heater core, tach
        cable, speedo cable, and a couple air lines spliced $7995

        I am going to start an album in the photos section where you can see
        pix of the vehicles, under "hottrod". E-mail me at FHottrod4@...

        Thanks! I have about 35 years experience as a mechanic and auto-
        painter and restorer in general.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • John Crosson <johnyac@worldnet.att.net>
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2002
          Appologies for not getting back to you all for a while. I have posted
          this same question on a few other sites. MTS's chat board came up
          with the same answer, add a few universal joints to the steering
          shaft. I am purchasing a set of Caddy exhaust flanges and am planning
          to build my own exhaust. Once this is finished the steering problem
          can be delt with.
          thanks
          John C.
        • bill lutzius