Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Steering shaft too close the the exhaust on my Chevelle

  • bill lutzius
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2002
      This sounds like one mean car.Well done cadillac
      brother.I would check out a street rod magazine.They
      have tilt columes in model t,s.
      --- John Crosson <johnyac@...> wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > I now have my 500 in the 65 Chevelle wagon.

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • bill lutzius
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2002
        If its a 1/4 inch i would grind some metal away and if
        it go,s thru the manifold i,d just weld the hole.I
        read some where that dents in headers up to some point
        don,t hurt .And that cast iron manifold might be
        thick.
        --- John Crosson <johnyac@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > I now have my 500 in the 65 Chevelle wagon. The
        > passenger side clears
        > with stock manifolds. However, the steering shaft
        > crosses in front of
        > the second from the rear exhaust port on the drivers
        > side(withing 1
        > 1/4 inch). The engine is center between the rails.
        > Moving the block
        > in or out does not give me any additional clearence.
        > Has anyone found
        > a solution. Any custom steering shaft kits? I have
        > manual steering on
        > the car and I was not planing on changing it.
        > johnyac@...
        >
        > John C.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Pollorey
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2002
          Is there any reason the engine couldn't be tilted to one side? Would it
          help in this case? Would it screw up the rest of the clearances?

          --- John Crosson <johnyac@...> wrote:
          > Greetings,
          > I now have my 500 in the 65 Chevelle wagon. The
          > passenger side clears
          > with stock manifolds. However, the steering shaft
          > crosses in front of
          > the second from the rear exhaust port on the drivers
          > side(withing 1
          > 1/4 inch). The engine is center between the rails.
          > Moving the block
          > in or out does not give me any additional clearence.
          > Has anyone found
          > a solution. Any custom steering shaft kits? I have
          > manual steering on
          > the car and I was not planing on changing it.
          > johnyac@...
          >
          > John C.

        • hottrod41
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "Pollorey"
            <philsfcs@n...> wrote:
            > Is there any reason the engine couldn't be tilted to one side?
            Would it
            > help in this case? Would it screw up the rest of the clearances?

            Hey there! A possible solution which I would try is to add a u-joint
            to the steering shaft, an extra one, available at farm stores, you
            would have to cut and weld the steering shaft to the extra u-joint
            but that would prob give you enough extra clearance. As far as
            tilting the engine, that would upset the float levels in the
            carburetor, enough so you may have a problem, so I think
            rerouting/repositioning the steering shaft would be the best bet.

            I just now joined, didn;t know this club was around, I am a private
            collector and total gearhead in northern IL (Rockford). I have about
            70 different antique cars stuffed in my buildings, I am going to
            offer a few of them for sale, a lot are unrestored but should run, as
            they were running when parked. The trannys are all good. What I have
            for sale now is:

            '68 Cadillac SDV - $900
            '72 Cadillac ambulance, Miller Meteor $900
            '70 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine $900
            '62 Cadillac Coupe $900
            '69 Chevy Corvair $900
            '59 Chevy heavy 3/4 ton pickup $900
            '79 Firebird Espirit, no engine or trans $500
            '86 Dodge Daytona Turbocharged, needs timing reset $500
            '79 Mercury Cougar XR7 - needs timing chain $500
            '68 Lincoln, suicide doors, 4 dr., high compression 460 engine $900
            '78 Peterbilt Tractor, 3406 Caterpillar, 13 speed, engine trans and
            rears are fine, needs minor maintenance such as heater core, tach
            cable, speedo cable, and a couple air lines spliced $7995

            I am going to start an album in the photos section where you can see
            pix of the vehicles, under "hottrod". E-mail me at FHottrod4@...

            Thanks! I have about 35 years experience as a mechanic and auto-
            painter and restorer in general.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • John Crosson <johnyac@worldnet.att.net>
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2002
              Appologies for not getting back to you all for a while. I have posted
              this same question on a few other sites. MTS's chat board came up
              with the same answer, add a few universal joints to the steering
              shaft. I am purchasing a set of Caddy exhaust flanges and am planning
              to build my own exhaust. Once this is finished the steering problem
              can be delt with.
              thanks
              John C.
            • bill lutzius