RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: Crappy Gas Mileage 2008 CTS (AWD)

  • James D Hufton
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009

      All,

      I have a 2008 CTS with the 3.6L DI engine but without AWD.  I usually drive my car in a “spirited manner” and am consistently getting 18.5 MPG as measured by the on-board trip computer in the car.  I have not reset the long term average MPG function for at least a year, so it is truly giving me a indication of the long term mileage I am getting.

      Most of the time I am driving short trips and with the cold winter we have been having, the engine is often cold when I start out.

      I have a question for those with the 3.6L DI engine: do you occasionally experience episodic (e.g. comes and goes while the car is stopped and idling)  rough idle when stopped at a traffic light?  I recently had to have the oxygen sensor replaced, and noticed that the rough idle episodes continue even after having the sensor replaced.  It almost seems that the problem might be related to the climate control system cycling the air conditioner compressor to dehumidify the air (it certainly isn’t warm enough in the Chicago area lately to  be running the AC full time).  If anyone knows what causes this I would be interested in hearing about it.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        I also have the 2008 CTS with the 3.6l DI and have no problems with the idle, but I do live in very warm weather all year long, maybe you need to move down here to the Key West.  William

        > I have a 2008 CTS (AWD) with the direct injection
        engine and I can't
        > seem to get more than 15.5 MPG in combined city and
        highway driving. To
        > be more precise, my daily commute is about 30% city
        and 70% highway and
        > I'm still getting only 15.5 MPG. I've been dealing
        with my dealer and
        > with Cadillac and they are helping me--they just
        want me to go away.

        > Any suggestions out there? I would tell
        anyone looking at the vehicle
        > to pass on it. GM is hurting, and like
        idiots, they aren't taking care
        > of the very people that can help them
        turn the corner. All in all, I am
        > extremely disappointed with
        Cadillac's level of customer service.

        > Thanks

        I have a 2009 CTS4 (not DI engine) and my mileage is around 21 mpg average. Don't get mad but so many times when poor mileage is the complaint it can often be traced to how the owner drives. Using the shift feature a lot, fast take offs, idling and speeding all contribute to lower mpg. Are you using the remote start to warm up the car? That is going suck gas and contribute to low mpg. A car burns more fuel when the engine is cold and if you are just idling it and not driving, you are losing economy. The price you pay for comfort.

        A friend also has a 2009 AWD and she says she get around the same as I do and she only drives it about 20 miles a day back and forth to the office. Her car only has 3,000 miles on it and she just loves the car as do I. I had a 2005 CTS also.

        Mike

      • stumpff606
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          I can say that this problem is sometimes caused by either defective
          sensors or poor connections to sensors. I had this happen to me on a Chevrolet where the coolant temperature sensor (the sensor for the
          gauge is separate from the ECM sensor) had a high resistance
          connection which was read by the ECM to be low coolant temp. That
          caused the ECM to run a rich mixture all the time as if the engine
          never warmed up. Finally found the problem when the connection
          resistance got so high that the car would shut off when warmed up
          because the mixture was so rich it just couldn't run. The dealer
          should be able to track this down if he looks for error codes with
          his Tech II. Anyway, that's my experience with poor gas mileage for
          what it's worth. Hope it helps you.

          ED