Oil Change Question

  • Coolsuthernmale@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009
      Greetings From Atlanta, GA,

      I went to Advance Auto Parts yesterday and inquired about the oil capacity of my 2006 Cadillac STS-V. They replied with 9 quarts - seems to be a bit much, but I have never changed the oil on a 4.4 liter Northstar engine, or an engine with a blower.

      My question is this - is there a separate procedure to change the oil for the Supercharger? Over the years, I have been a Ford man. The only GM car I owned was a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am. Frankly, I was not too impressed with it. Currently, I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition, a 2006 Cadillac STS-V, and a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. I loved the power and performance of the Mark VIII, however, it won't hold a candle to the beast under the hood of the STS-V. I sold off my 2002 Mustang GT that I had modified to run with a Corvette, but when I test drove the STS-V, the Mustang went out the window! I have not regretted my switch to a much more powerful, much better riding, and stealthy American Luxury Rocket!

      I plan to purchase the Helm Manuals for the STS-V (as I have them for the other vehicles mentioned) and do most of the maintenance work myself.

      Thank you for taking the time to read my E-mail question, and always remember this:

      "It is much easier to stand behind the American Armed Forces than it is to stand in front of them." Army Times Reporter, Fallujah, Iraq

      Michael R. Boyd,
      LTC, MS
      Chief of Operations
      APMC, Fort Gillem, GA

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2009
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Coolsuthernmale@... wrote:

        > Greetings From Atlanta, GA,
        >
        > I went to Advance Auto Parts yesterday and inquired about the oil capacity
        > of my 2006 Cadillac STS-V. They replied with 9 quarts - seems to be a bit much,
        > but I have never changed the oil on a 4.4 liter Northstar engine, or an
        > engine with a blower.
        >
        > My question is this - is there a separate procedure to change the oil for
        > the Supercharger? Over the years, I have been a Ford man. The only GM car I
        > owned was a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am. Frankly, I was not too impressed with it.
        > Currently, I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition, a 2006 Cadillac STS-V, and
        > a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. I loved the power and performance of the Mark
        > VIII, however, it won't hold a candle to the beast under the hood of the
        > STS-V. I sold off my 2002 Mustang GT that I had modified to run with a Corvette,
        > but when I test drove the STS-V, the Mustang went out the window! I have not
        > regretted my switch to a much more powerful, much better riding, and stealthy
        > American Luxury Rocket!
        >
        > I plan to purchase the Helm Manuals for the STS-V (as I have them for the
        > other vehicles mentioned) and do most of the maintenance work myself.
        >
        > Thank you for taking the time to read my E-mail question, and always
        > remember this:
        >
        > "It is much easier to stand behind the American Armed Forces than it is to
        > stand in front of them." Army Times Reporter, Fallujah, Iraq
        >
        > Michael R. Boyd,
        > LTC, MS
        > Chief of Operations
        > APMC, Fort Gillem, GA
        > steps!
        > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
        > %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

        That's the figure I come up with also. Here is my

        CAPACITIES
        Engine, with filter..........9.0 quarts[1]
        Cooling System, Initial Fill..........14.0 quarts
        Automatic Transmission, 6L80 Initial Fill..........6.6 quarts
        Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
        6 speed 6L80..........11.0 quarts
        Differential, Front..........1.5 pints
        Differential, Rear..........2.7 pints
        Transfer Case,BE4476/79..........1.1 pints

        1. After refill check oil level.

        Copyright ©2008 by MOTOR Information Systems, a division of Hearst Business Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

        Mike
        USA 1966-68
      • Sean Janne
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2009
          I buy the factory service manual for all of my cars.  It pays to have the exact manual that the factory technicians use to service your car!  The Helm manuals aren't as detailed.

          Regards,
          Sean Janne
          Portland, ME