Re:Shock Life for a 2002 Eldorado

  • hottrod the man behind the wheel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008

      Hi there,

      Well, I have had lots of cars that have had bad shocks and they did not pitch and yaw as you said - - bounce the car up and down with your body weight while it is sitting still, and if it bounces more than 3 times on it's own, the shocks should be replaced.

      I would tend to suspect loose steering parts or a front end out of alignment.  See if the tires are wearing irregularly, assuming those tires have been in their respective positions for some time. If a front tire or tires have a sharp edge on one side of a tread or treads, and dull edge on the other, you have an alignment problem; likewise, if a front tire is wearing on one side more than the other, you also have a steering alignment problem.

      Depending on how rough of roads the car has been driven on, which affects shock absorber wear, I have always heard the life of most OEM shocks is about 25,000 miles; but again, if they are not bad (bouncing method as a quick check), and the bushings are not loose where the shocks mount, they may still be usable.

      hottrod