Shock Life for a 2002 Eldorado

  • rntnanr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I just recently picked up a 2002 Eldorado with 58000 miles. It seems
      to pitch and yaw all over the place on suburban streets at speeds
      below 45 mph. Could this be an indication that it is time to replace
      the shocks? What is the expected life of the OEM units? Thanks.
    • hottrod the man behind the wheel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008

        Hi there,

        Well, I have had lots of cars that have had bad shocks and they did not pitch and yaw as you said - - bounce the car up and down with your body weight while it is sitting still, and if it bounces more than 3 times on it's own, the shocks should be replaced.

        I would tend to suspect loose steering parts or a front end out of alignment.  See if the tires are wearing irregularly, assuming those tires have been in their respective positions for some time. If a front tire or tires have a sharp edge on one side of a tread or treads, and dull edge on the other, you have an alignment problem; likewise, if a front tire is wearing on one side more than the other, you also have a steering alignment problem.

        Depending on how rough of roads the car has been driven on, which affects shock absorber wear, I have always heard the life of most OEM shocks is about 25,000 miles; but again, if they are not bad (bouncing method as a quick check), and the bushings are not loose where the shocks mount, they may still be usable.

        hottrod