RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Crappy Gas Mileage 2008 CTS (AWD)

  • William Sing
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
      Sorry to hear that, I have the same car and year and I get great mileage with mine, in city=20+, in hwy=28+.  Also great customer service at ED MORSE SAWGRASS AUTO MALL in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I love my car

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "scottm9704"
        <scottm9704@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone,
        >
        > I have a 2008 CTS (AWD) with the direct injection engine and I can't
        > seem to get more than 15.5 MPG in combined city and highway driving. To
        > be more precise, my daily commute is about 30% city and 70% highway and
        > I'm still getting only 15.5 MPG. I've been dealing with my dealer and
        > with Cadillac and they are helping me--they just want me to go away.
        >
        > Any suggestions out there? I would tell anyone looking at the vehicle
        > to pass on it. GM is hurting, and like idiots, they aren't taking care
        > of the very people that can help them turn the corner. All in all, I am
        > extremely disappointed with Cadillac's level of customer service.
        >
        > Thanks

        Hello,

        I am so glad to hear that someone else is upset about Cadillac's lack of good customer
        service. I have a 2007 CTS that I've had for 14 months and the car has been plagued with
        problems and been in for service over 10 times--6 alone for problems with the sunroof. I
        have been working with the dealership and I also feel like they just want me to go away,
        regardless of the fact that my car is not fixed. I believe in "you get what you pay for", but
        surely I thought I was getting GM's best when I got this Cadillac. I've been a loyal GM
        customer for many years and I hope I can get some type of resolution with my car or I will
        walk away from Cadillac and GM for good.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "scottm9704" <scottm9704@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I have a 2008 CTS (AWD) with the direct injection engine and I can't
          > seem to get more than 15.5 MPG in combined city and highway driving. To
          > be more precise, my daily commute is about 30% city and 70% highway and
          > I'm still getting only 15.5 MPG. I've been dealing with my dealer and
          > with Cadillac and they are helping me--they just want me to go away.
          >
          > Any suggestions out there? I would tell anyone looking at the vehicle
          > to pass on it. GM is hurting, and like idiots, they aren't taking care
          > of the very people that can help them turn the corner. All in all, I am
          > extremely disappointed with Cadillac's level of customer service.
          >
          > Thanks

          I have a 2009 CTS4 (not DI engine) and my mileage is around 21 mpg average. Don't get mad but so many times when poor mileage is the complaint it can often be traced to how the owner drives. Using the shift feature a lot, fast take offs, idling and speeding all contribute to lower mpg. Are you using the remote start to warm up the car? That is going suck gas and contribute to low mpg. A car burns more fuel when the engine is cold and if you are just idling it and not driving, you are losing economy. The price you pay for comfort.

          A friend also has a 2009 AWD and she says she get around the same as I do and she only drives it about 20 miles a day back and forth to the office. Her car only has 3,000 miles on it and she just loves the car as do I. I had a 2005 CTS also.

          Mike
        • William Sing
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            I drive in the Keys.  While driving in Key West, my mileage is about 17 MPG, but when driving to Miami from Key West (average MPH is 45 to 55) I get between 18 and 30 MPG, staying off the brake as much as possible.  In Miami while driving at 80+ MPH, my MPG is about 23.  I love my 2008 CTS.  Hope this helps.  William

            > I have a 2008 CTS (AWD) with the direct injection
            engine and I can't
            > seem to get more than 15.5 MPG in combined city and
            highway driving. To
            > be more precise, my daily commute is about 30% city
            and 70% highway and
            > I'm still getting only 15.5 MPG. I've been dealing
            with my dealer and
            > with Cadillac and they are helping me--they just
            want me to go away.

            > Any suggestions out there? I would tell
            anyone looking at the vehicle
            > to pass on it. GM is hurting, and like
            idiots, they aren't taking care
            > of the very people that can help them
            turn the corner. All in all, I am
            > extremely disappointed with
            Cadillac's level of customer service.

            > Thanks

            I have a 2009 CTS4 (not DI engine) and my mileage is around 21 mpg average. Don't get mad but so many times when poor mileage is the complaint it can often be traced to how the owner drives. Using the shift feature a lot, fast take offs, idling and speeding all contribute to lower mpg. Are you using the remote start to warm up the car? That is going suck gas and contribute to low mpg. A car burns more fuel when the engine is cold and if you are just idling it and not driving, you are losing economy. The price you pay for comfort.

            A friend also has a 2009 AWD and she says she get around the same as I do and she only drives it about 20 miles a day back and forth to the office. Her car only has 3,000 miles on it and she just loves the car as do I. I had a 2005 CTS also.

            Mike

          • James D Hufton
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009

              All,

              I have a 2008 CTS with the 3.6L DI engine but without AWD.  I usually drive my car in a “spirited manner” and am consistently getting 18.5 MPG as measured by the on-board trip computer in the car.  I have not reset the long term average MPG function for at least a year, so it is truly giving me a indication of the long term mileage I am getting.

              Most of the time I am driving short trips and with the cold winter we have been having, the engine is often cold when I start out.

              I have a question for those with the 3.6L DI engine: do you occasionally experience episodic (e.g. comes and goes while the car is stopped and idling)  rough idle when stopped at a traffic light?  I recently had to have the oxygen sensor replaced, and noticed that the rough idle episodes continue even after having the sensor replaced.  It almost seems that the problem might be related to the climate control system cycling the air conditioner compressor to dehumidify the air (it certainly isn’t warm enough in the Chicago area lately to  be running the AC full time).  If anyone knows what causes this I would be interested in hearing about it.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                I also have the 2008 CTS with the 3.6l DI and have no problems with the idle, but I do live in very warm weather all year long, maybe you need to move down here to the Key West.  William

                > I have a 2008 CTS (AWD) with the direct injection
                engine and I can't
                > seem to get more than 15.5 MPG in combined city and
                highway driving. To
                > be more precise, my daily commute is about 30% city
                and 70% highway and
                > I'm still getting only 15.5 MPG. I've been dealing
                with my dealer and
                > with Cadillac and they are helping me--they just
                want me to go away.

                > Any suggestions out there? I would tell
                anyone looking at the vehicle
                > to pass on it. GM is hurting, and like
                idiots, they aren't taking care
                > of the very people that can help them
                turn the corner. All in all, I am
                > extremely disappointed with
                Cadillac's level of customer service.

                > Thanks

                I have a 2009 CTS4 (not DI engine) and my mileage is around 21 mpg average. Don't get mad but so many times when poor mileage is the complaint it can often be traced to how the owner drives. Using the shift feature a lot, fast take offs, idling and speeding all contribute to lower mpg. Are you using the remote start to warm up the car? That is going suck gas and contribute to low mpg. A car burns more fuel when the engine is cold and if you are just idling it and not driving, you are losing economy. The price you pay for comfort.

                A friend also has a 2009 AWD and she says she get around the same as I do and she only drives it about 20 miles a day back and forth to the office. Her car only has 3,000 miles on it and she just loves the car as do I. I had a 2005 CTS also.

                Mike

              • stumpff606
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                  I can say that this problem is sometimes caused by either defective
                  sensors or poor connections to sensors. I had this happen to me on a Chevrolet where the coolant temperature sensor (the sensor for the
                  gauge is separate from the ECM sensor) had a high resistance
                  connection which was read by the ECM to be low coolant temp. That
                  caused the ECM to run a rich mixture all the time as if the engine
                  never warmed up. Finally found the problem when the connection
                  resistance got so high that the car would shut off when warmed up
                  because the mixture was so rich it just couldn't run. The dealer
                  should be able to track this down if he looks for error codes with
                  his Tech II. Anyway, that's my experience with poor gas mileage for
                  what it's worth. Hope it helps you.

                  ED