eldo tranny/differential

  • caddylackn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2002
      I've seen alot of requests for different gear ratios for the eldos on
      this and other message boards. This might be worth looking into; In
      the 70's GMC made a motorhome based on the toronado 455/425thm
      drivetrain. The motorhomes are easy to spot, they have two single
      wheel rear axles. There is one by my work and I peeked underneath to
      see if it was really front wheel drive. It was, and it had really
      beefy front axles that took eight lug wheels. I don't know if this
      tranny/differential/axles are a direct bolt-on to an eldorado but
      knowing GM they probably will be sharing many internal parts with the
      eldo. This tranny probably has a granny first and the differential
      ratio surely would be lower than 2.73 on a 10,000 + lb motorhome.
      This might be worth looking into if you are looking to beef up your
      drivetrain or lower your gear ratio.
    • Cody G. Carson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2002
        Thank you for that information. I posted a message a few weeks ago
        that gave links to several tranny shops-but have not had time to
        check all of them out. I have heard that the motor home's FWD tranny
        is in fact interchangeable, and I believe that the 8 lug pattern is a
        function of the wheel hub only (making the axle shafts a possible
        swap as well, if the out put shaft splines and shaft lenght are the
        same.) It is a very interesting thing to consider, and I am curious
        to see if in fact tose transmissions have a lower first and second
        gear, which would make running the 2.73 diff more practical for a
        drag/street application. I have also heard on the MTS board that
        other gear ratios are available for the motor homes, but do not yet
        know the names of any suppliers. I think the people who do know that
        answer check the board often, and might be able to help with answers.
        Personally, I like the 2.73 in my 70 Eldo since it puts the top end
        at about 155 mph. (have not tried to get there yet however) but would
        like a lower 1st gear to get the car out of the hole with out
        roasting the tires so bad. That high first gear will really let the
        tires spin wildly when you break traction, and you really have to
        come off off of the throttle to get it to hook again. A lower first
        gear would allow more control and more power at launch. the 2.73
        final would keep top speed good, and gas mileage at an acceptable
        level for a street car.
      • fire_khan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2002
          Hey Cody, check this link out... found it on google. All about the
          FWD Motorhomes, looks like the 8 lug is just an adapter, otherwise
          the front end, control arms and all, look IDENTICAL do the FWD
          Eldos.

          http://www.california.com/~eagle/front.html

          FireKhan aka Solaris

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "Cody G. Carson"
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2002
            caddylackn,

            Since the internal parts in the TH425 are same as a TH400,
            I bet you could swap in the planetary gears needed for a
            lower 1st gear. Fyi - some 1 ton trucks/buses and rwd
            motorhomes had lower 1st [maybe 2nd too?]. The aftermarket
            has the planatary sets too. Pricey though.
            Dave