Rear sump (Eldorado) oil pan/dipstick tech

  • tremorj10
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
      Removing an old dipstick is almost impossible. The rear sump
      dipsticks were bent at the factory after installation to fit properly.

      There are two dipstick holes in the Caddy block. The rear hole is
      for rear sump pans. The unused hole is pluggged with a metal ball.
      If you are converting to a rear sump pan you will have to relocate
      the dipstick tube.

      Thanks to Terry on the MTS board for this info:

      I've never removed one in one piece-now I just saw them off at the
      bottom of the block and drive out the piece.
      Measure the original first so you know how long it is and how far it
      is from the pan rail to the top of the tube where the stick goes
      in.Then make your own from 3/8" steel fuel line and bend it back for
      crankshaft clearance like the factory did.Don't forget to put the
      ball in the front hole.
    • evildudeprod
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
        Doesn't MTS sell new dipsticks and dipstick tubes for both front and
        rear sump pans?

        -Travis

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "tremorj10"
        <JOEOILER@A...> wrote:
        > Removing an old dipstick is almost impossible. The rear sump
        > dipsticks were bent at the factory after installation to fit
        properly.

        > There are two dipstick holes in the Caddy block. The rear hole is
        > for rear sump pans. The unused hole is pluggged with a metal
        ball.
        > If you are converting to a rear sump pan you will have to relocate
        > the dipstick tube.
        >
        > Thanks to Terry on the MTS board for this info:
        >
        > I've never removed one in one piece-now I just saw them off at the
        > bottom of the block and drive out the piece.
        > Measure the original first so you know how long it is and how far
        it
        > is from the pan rail to the top of the tube where the stick goes
        > in.Then make your own from 3/8" steel fuel line and bend it back
        for
        > crankshaft clearance like the factory did.Don't forget to put the
        > ball in the front hole.
      • ja70cad
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
          Nope, not any more. I don't think that anyone makes dipstick tubes
          for front sumps anymore.
          Juan
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "evildudeprod"