'79-'85 Eldorado 16" tire fit update for 16 X 8 TA wheel swap

  • Cody G. Carson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2002
      In my initial fitting of the 235/55R16 on the '82 Eldo, I did not
      know that the air pressure had leaked out of the tire. I re tested
      the fit with 50 PSI to simulate a hot tire. The widest part of the
      side wall did infact rub the inner chrome trim of the fender. It will
      require at least 1/8" trimming to clear the rear fender well when the
      suspension comes close to bottoming out. Also, with the 255 it is
      possible for it to rub the shock depending on the setup of the rear
      wheel berring's alignment shims. A 1/4" wheel spacer may be needed----
      -especially if a larger diamiter shock is in place of the stock
      shock. The 255/50 ZR 16 is a good looking tire on the back and does
      not stick out past the fender, but I cannot guarantee the fit of that
      tire in your application. If you try this swap, I would first buy a
      cheap used tire of each size and try mounting them front and back-
      then go with the one that works best for you. I have not tried this
      one, but a 225/60R16 should work w/o trimming the fender. Just wanted
      to give this update. e-mail me for the latest info. For those
      interested in better handling, I will make future posts on Eldorado
      handling upgrades.