Re: 84 fleetwood broughm

  • s_holford
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "azstuffer"
      <azstuffer@...> wrote:

      > Its an HT4100 tech book bad engine. bought it from a farmer here in
      > Arizona for a 1000.bucks got it home drove it. Its an emmaculate
      gold
      > package with continental pkg., also. oil pump went out, appearantly
      > getting bad already 84,000 miles on it. front two rods chewed away
      at
      > the crank and the water jacket has a hole through the rear passenger
      > side.
      >
      > Will a 4.5 or 4.9 work in this car, and if it does, does it matter
      > weather or not it is a transverse engine or not? Also will there be
      > any computer glitches?

      From what I've read, the 4.5/4.9 transverse engines can't interchange
      with a longitudinally mounted one. The only 4.5 upgrade that I'm aware
      of is changing the pistons and liners to increase displacement. But
      then you're still stuck with aluminum block/cast iron heads problem.

      I'm debating if it's worth the trouble to continue to get mine up and
      going or just replace it with something else. If you check around the
      reman engines are going for $1100 and up. Make sure they follow the
      GM tech updates though. From what I understand there's an updated #1
      bearing, oil pump, distributor or cam gear, and better intake/head
      gaskets than the originals.