84 fleetwood broughm

  • azstuffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2007
      Its an HT4100 tech book bad engine. bought it from a farmer here in
      Arizona for a 1000.bucks got it home drove it. Its an emmaculate gold
      package with continental pkg., also. oil pump went out, appearantly
      getting bad already 84,000 miles on it. front two rods chewed away at
      the crank and the water jacket has a hole through the rear passenger
      side.

      Will a 4.5 or 4.9 work in this car, and if it does, does it matter
      weather or not it is a transverse engine or not? Also will there be
      any computer glitches?
    • s_holford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "azstuffer"
        <azstuffer@...> wrote:

        > Its an HT4100 tech book bad engine. bought it from a farmer here in
        > Arizona for a 1000.bucks got it home drove it. Its an emmaculate
        gold
        > package with continental pkg., also. oil pump went out, appearantly
        > getting bad already 84,000 miles on it. front two rods chewed away
        at
        > the crank and the water jacket has a hole through the rear passenger
        > side.
        >
        > Will a 4.5 or 4.9 work in this car, and if it does, does it matter
        > weather or not it is a transverse engine or not? Also will there be
        > any computer glitches?

        From what I've read, the 4.5/4.9 transverse engines can't interchange
        with a longitudinally mounted one. The only 4.5 upgrade that I'm aware
        of is changing the pistons and liners to increase displacement. But
        then you're still stuck with aluminum block/cast iron heads problem.

        I'm debating if it's worth the trouble to continue to get mine up and
        going or just replace it with something else. If you check around the
        reman engines are going for $1100 and up. Make sure they follow the
        GM tech updates though. From what I understand there's an updated #1
        bearing, oil pump, distributor or cam gear, and better intake/head
        gaskets than the originals.