Re: '58-472?

  • andrew199442
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tim"
      <ellwood59@...> wrote:

      > Hey folks, We're putting a '68 472 w/TH400 tranny in a '58 Fleetwood.
      > First, what will be any major road blocks we will encounter. Second,
      > can we use the stock rearend but just replace internals to go say
      3:73
      > with posi? We're gonna go bigger (bore) on the motor and "beef" the
      > trans. just for more fun. I'm just being told by some buddies the
      > stock rear won't handle too much power. Any help is appreciated.I'm a
      > 47 yr. old rookie at this. Thanks Tim & Peg

      hi tim & peg,ive just put a 500ci in my 58 coupe de ville with this
      trans,mine was an early 70s,firstly if yours hasnt got it you want a
      deep at the rear sump with the oil pump to go with it to clear your
      crossmember although i still had to notch mine,a oil pump which moves
      the filter closer to the motor helps but i still ended up running a
      remote system again with clearance problems and cross member
      modification,the stock motor mounts i found were to high so i
      fabricated my own i found to get the engine sitting nice there was a
      half inch difference lining up the mount holes,with this all done the
      motor sat as before without firewall modification and cleared the
      factory air boxes,i had my prop modified and balanced at a race shop
      using the th400 yolk, i cant recomend cad500 enough for help assistanc
      and shipping all my bits to england so i could complete my project,i
      have been told that all these parts are avalible from caddys as stock
      but im sure you know we aint got as many lying around for picking as
      you lucky people have,had no problem with my rear end as yet check out
      the blown 60 drop top in sweeden with the big block in,think he used
      same company as me flashcraft,i met him at sweden this year at the
      powermeet vasteras, hope this helps
      andy
    • Timothy Kearns
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006

        Thanks Andy, The one good thing we have going is that we plan on "rodding "our '58. In other words, we're cleaning off the firewall , so no clearance problems. Hopefully this will simplify the motor mount, tranny mount and header clearance issues. My wife and I are rookies at this,(our'68 driveline was installed bt a friend), but, we can't wait to dig in. Now it's up to expendable cash and time. Everyones advice is appreciated and encouraged!

                                                                             Thanks Again,

                                                                         Elwood(Tim)&Peggy

        Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list.