I may be in over my head

  • Ben Bockover
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
      I just got into a 1952 62 series with 40k on it. I am now the second
      owner it has been sitting in a barn sence 1957. the body and
      engine/compartment is in great shape. but the inside is a different
      story rats have had there way with the seats, floors, dash, and
      wireing. My Plan is to get it mechanicaly sound before i worry about
      the cosmetic. Now before i do any thing should i get it running first
      and see what dont work or go ahead with a rebuild kit for the 331. I
      looked up priceing for a long block and noticed the 500 is cheeper
      then a 331. is that a worth wile swop or something else. I herd some
      thing about a 500 with 472 heads has 10:1 but will i have to change
      the rear end with that. Like i said i may be in over my head so any
      advice would help.
    • frank redmond
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
        Ben,

        Congrats on the 1952 Series 62.  I'm running into a lot of folks in the same quandry about the 331 or going to something else.  Have you attempted to spin the engine over at all by hand?  If it will, you're on the road to seeing if it will actually start too.  I've got a list of procedures I will email out later this afternoon or evening.  I happened to see this email and wanted to at least touch base with you.  there is a world of options out there for you including upgrading or updating to a newer engine.

        Frank
        1953 Superior Cadillac Hearse
        1962 S&S Cadillac
        1974 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign