Re: [SPAM] [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: early 1950s vintage Cadillac engine swap

  • Jerry Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2006
      I agree. Don't put a Chevy in a Cadillac (despite the fact Cadillac does that now with the LS series engines).  Even a Chevy guy lifting the hood on your Cadillac would go Ugh if he saw a SBC in there. I'd rebuild the 331 and use the old hydramatic despite the fact they weren't much to write home about in the reliability and longevity departments.  It fits, the rest of the car is built around it and you don't have the host of irritating little problems like mounts, linkages, finding a gear indicator to fit on your steering column etc. that come with changing power trains.

      If you don't like the old hydramatic, get a 4L60e  or the huskier 4L80e  overdrive automatic. It has electronic controls and no cable or rod is needed for kickdown. You can get an aftermarket controller for it.  Someone makes an adapter so you can put that transmission behind your 331 and get improved gas mileage. The last 4L60e I had ( 99 Silverado) got traded at 176,000 miles with nary a hint of transmission problem the whole time.  If you get lucky you might find that someone makes a kit that solves the mounts/linkages etc. issues that go along with swaps.

      Jerry Brown
      Woodland WA