Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] early 1950s vintage Cadillac engine swap

  • Richard Lopez
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2006
      Hello-
      Saw your post on the site. Don't know of any modern set ups that will easliy fit. A common swap is a cad 500 but again that is not easy. You may want to try just a later model caddy engine, such as a '60 390, that will bolt right in and give you significant horsepower gains with essentially no mods. Also, where are you located, I may be interested in your motor once you've pulled it.
      Thanks,
      Richard

      dmitchell2067 <dmitchell2067@...> wrote:
      Help........ .

      I have a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood with the original 331 CI V8 and
      Hydramatic that needs to be updated for reliable daily use. Any
      suggestions on a later model Cadillac engine/tranny that will fit
      easily, or any info available for small block Chevy/TH350 swaps into
      the early fifties cars?

      Thanks,

    • Lance
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2006
        There is no reason the 331 should be considered undependable.
        Just so you know, installing a Chevy engine would destroy the value of
        the car should you ever want to sell it.

        As far as the hydramatic goes, if you drive any automatic with
        a "liftfoot upshift", they virtually last forever. Hydramatics dropped
        the rev's a lot between the 2 - 3 upshift, so it is best to lift your
        foot a bit when it is ready to shift.

        If your current 331 is giving you a problem, it would probably be best
        to rebuild it,or, if it is not burning much oil, you may need only a
        valve job. Do a compression test on it to see how much variance you
        have in the cylinders. Low compression caused by leaky valves can
        make them hard starting.

        hottrod

        --- In
        Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "dmitchell2067"