early 1950s vintage Cadillac engine swap

  • dmitchell2067
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2006
      Help.........

      I have a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood with the original 331 CI V8 and
      Hydramatic that needs to be updated for reliable daily use. Any
      suggestions on a later model Cadillac engine/tranny that will fit
      easily, or any info available for small block Chevy/TH350 swaps into
      the early fifties cars?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Richard Lopez
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2006
        Hello-
        Saw your post on the site. Don't know of any modern set ups that will easliy fit. A common swap is a cad 500 but again that is not easy. You may want to try just a later model caddy engine, such as a '60 390, that will bolt right in and give you significant horsepower gains with essentially no mods. Also, where are you located, I may be interested in your motor once you've pulled it.
        Thanks,
        Richard

        dmitchell2067 <dmitchell2067@...> wrote:
        Help........ .

        I have a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood with the original 331 CI V8 and
        Hydramatic that needs to be updated for reliable daily use. Any
        suggestions on a later model Cadillac engine/tranny that will fit
        easily, or any info available for small block Chevy/TH350 swaps into
        the early fifties cars?

        Thanks,

      • Lance
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2006
          There is no reason the 331 should be considered undependable.
          Just so you know, installing a Chevy engine would destroy the value of
          the car should you ever want to sell it.

          As far as the hydramatic goes, if you drive any automatic with
          a "liftfoot upshift", they virtually last forever. Hydramatics dropped
          the rev's a lot between the 2 - 3 upshift, so it is best to lift your
          foot a bit when it is ready to shift.

          If your current 331 is giving you a problem, it would probably be best
          to rebuild it,or, if it is not burning much oil, you may need only a
          valve job. Do a compression test on it to see how much variance you
          have in the cylinders. Low compression caused by leaky valves can
          make them hard starting.

          hottrod

          --- In
          Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "dmitchell2067"