introduction and first problem

  • zukgod1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2006
      Hello there everyone.
      Just joined and I already need assistance.

      I seem to have a problem with this 96 Northstar I'm installing in a S-10.

      Problem:

      Upon cold start up it wont fire right away, let me discribe a bit better.
      Turn key, engine turns over but doesnt start. Key off back on wont
      start, again key off back on may or may not start.
      If I hold the key in the start position (engine turning over) it will
      eventually start but when it does I get a MIL, "Service Ingition
      System" and the tach doesnt work. Turn key off back on starts right up
      and tach works, 4 start later light turns off and all is good.

      The problem I'm having diagnosing this thing is it's not consistant.
      Some times it starts right up others see above.

      After it does it's not starting routine it will start just fine untill
      it sits for approx 2-3 hrs then all over again with the no starting.
      I have replaced the ignition controll module, found two wires that had
      the starts of a break so I replaced the wire from the bad part into
      the harnes to where the wire was good again, soldered and heat shrink
      connections. Checked plugs @ CPS (x2) replaced both pigtails way up
      into the harness just for kicks.And still have this problem.

      Any sugestions?

      Can I describe the problem any differant.

      Thanks
      Dan