Re: Tire and Wheel Information needed for 1974 Cadillac

  • Versatile Couple in North Texas
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2006
      Geary,

      I too have a 1974 Cadillac ProCar - Cerberus, a Superior Crown
      Sovereign Endloader/Combination. The commercial chassis uses the 5x5
      wheel and the tire size commonly being used to replace the 8.90-15 or
      N78-15 is the P235/75R15. I have upgraded my tires and actually went
      a little smaller on front and larger on the rear. I'm using BFG
      Radial T/A's and running P235/70R15 in front and P255/70R15 in the
      rear. I went with this combination to give my coach a slight "hot
      rod" rake and by going two sizes larger, I'm also gaining in the fuel
      economy department. Roughly, at 60 mph, I'm actually doing close to
      70 mph which allows the 472 to run at a lower rpm and still have the
      same speed as if I were actually doing 70. You're also open to
      running a slightly larger size front and rear if you're wanting to
      retain a completely "stock" look.

      The Hearse Guy in North Texas,
      Frank

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Geary"
      <ghare@...> wrote:

      > I have 2 questions regarding tires and wheels for a 1974
      Professional
      > Chassis. First, what is the bolt pattern for the wheels? I have
      > conflicting information saying that it is 4 ¾ inches and that it is
      5
      > inches.
      >
      > Second, what is the proper tire size for that car? The tire size in
      > the owner's manual and in the glove box is listed as 8:90-15. What
      > does that convert to in p-metric terms?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Geary

    • Tommy Pierson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
        Yet another 74 Superior owner here.
        5" on 5", but be careful with rims. The rims that came with the car
        are riveted, unlike regular GM rims. If you are going to put
        aftermarket rims on, make sure they can handle the weight. Your car
        will weigh about 6,600 lbs empty, so the tires should be extra load
        and rated accordingly.
        Have you looked at Coker?

        http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?
        productid=17314&cat=&page=1