Re: Service Ride Control

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
      Sean,

      Thanks loads for your response. I had the test info for my 83 but
      not for the 94. I appreciate that detail. Also, I am hoping that
      the ride control problem IS simple as I realize that in all of
      Cadillac's wisdom, they somehow have made the lower performace
      suspension the most troublesome, potentially. If not by design, by
      accessability and servicability. I have been under the car and kinda
      hoped that the Concourse bar would work. I need it because when I
      travel from Reno tto So. Oregon coast, to see my daughter, it's 428
      one-way and close to 270 on mountain backroads. I maintain a pretty
      good clip for terminal speed, I use the road and depend on suspension
      factors to 'work' it. I am not shy and never overdrive the car. I
      do have fun with the car and those guys in Beemers and an occasional
      Porsche, who think that high performance and handling is all about
      the "drag race" between the corners. Many times, I have managed to
      intimidate the hell out of them, even and especially with my 83 4100
      Sedan. Imagine that, you spend $65k on your Euroride, so that you
      can go faster than the next guy, and you get absolutely humbled by a
      relatively stock, white-walled, 4400+ lb., underpowered, vinyl-
      topped, and hub-capped 23 yr. old "Made in America" Cadillac!!!
      That's gotta hurt in the worst way. Of course it helps to know the
      road. But still, it validates the tortoise and the hare. The sad
      part of this scenario is the fact that the aforementioned SDV IS, in
      fact, better handling than my 94 which is lighter and more powerful.
      I can still adapt, but it's got so much body roll, that the oversteer
      is going to send me into swapping ends before the edge of adhesion.
      It hasn't yet, but my terminal speeds are almost 10 mph slower than
      what I can do with my 83, and that just won't do.

      I know, you must be thinking "What's the guy expecting out of a
      Cadillac?". Well, I've had 9 over the past 25 years, including a 59
      and they were all Cad powered, they were all dressed good enough to
      take to the dance, and every one of them could cut a pretty
      respectable rug once on the dance floor. So, while I'm not out to
      set Laguna Seca on fire, I'd really enjoy being able to get to the
      race with a minimum of traffic problems.

      So, far the 4.9 has responded well to the 80 series Flowmaster and
      Fram Air Hog, however, I have noticed that fuel efficiency has
      dropped in the 1700-2100 rpm range(best guess, no tach), which is
      unfortunately my cruise range. In the first 2 weeks I was
      getting 'instant mpg' of 34mpg@70mph, now I'm only seeing 25mpg on
      the same stretch under the same conditions, better if I go faster up
      to 80 mph. I'm wondering if I am starting to have the beginnings of
      converter probs. I will monitor, it seems about all I can do. I
      will also do the test and send you the codes for deciphering.

      Thanks Again,
      Bill
    • Sean Janne
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
        > So, far the 4.9 has responded well to the 80 series
        > Flowmaster and
        > Fram Air Hog, however, I have noticed that fuel
        > efficiency has
        > dropped in the 1700-2100 rpm range(best guess, no
        > tach), which is
        > unfortunately my cruise range.
        >
        > Thanks Again,
        > Bill

        Bill,
        There is an override on the IPC you can do so that
        you can view the RPM's, coolant temp and battery
        volts. If you'd like it, I can email the directions
        to you. I drive my '94 Deville with the coolant temp
        displayed, just in case anything happens! And a few
        months ago, my lower rad hose popped off, and I new
        something was wrong when I saw the engine temps go
        past 230 and not stop! Luckily I stopped the car
        before any of the warning messages came on. If I
        didn't have the temps displayed on the DIC, I never
        would have known something was wrong until the warning
        messages come on. The problem is they don't come on
        until the temp is over 250!

        Sean Janne
        2000 STS 4.6L Northstar
        1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
        1979 Sedan Deville 472
        Cadillac Hot Rod page
        http://members.tripod.com/~CadillacMan/79cadpage.html

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Preston III
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
          Wow, I thought I was the only one that believed that.

          I too, have an '84 Coupe Deville, and a '94 Fleetwood Brougham.  That
          '94 just doesn't handle nearly as well as the '84.  The '94 seems to
          wallow and float, whereas the '84 seems much more stable and solid.

          Truthfully, I don't think the '94 will last nearly as well as the '84.

          Preston III

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
            Hi Preston,

            I weighed my 94 with 8 gals. on board and less than 120 lbs in the
            trunk, it weighed in at 3950, that's approx. 500 lbs. less than my
            83. Considering that your Brougham is on a completely different
            chassis(I believe that it shares much with the Impala)and it's RWD, I
            would have hoped for more than you state. I read that some
            suspension components are interchangable with the Impala SS of the
            same vintage(94-96), perhaps you might look that way to improve on
            your handling. I have always liked your model of Fleetwood, because
            I am and always will be a RWD fan, no matter what is to be said about
            FWD! I just like the way RWD sets up and power-to-weight
            distribution works. It's just more dependable when the chips are
            down. If FWD were all THAT great, then why aren't there any FWD
            NASCARS or open wheel cars? I mean, just imagine how good the Viper
            would work with FWD instead of RWD(yuk)? Now THAT would be
            entertainment...lol!

            Bill
            97 STS
            94 DeVille