472 in a 78 gmc

  • Eric Burnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2006
      will a mid sump pan work when putting a 472 in a 78 gmc sierra?
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2006
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Burnes"
        <lileazy03@...> wrote:

        > will a mid sump pan work when putting a 472 in a 78 gmc sierra?

        Yes the mid sump from a 77-79 rear drive 425 will work. The sump from a
        68-76 rear drive, sometimes called mid sump or forward sump (forward is
        more accurate} Will not. Eldo pan will work very well .Have had both in
        my 86.
      • Eric Burnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2006
          The pan i found is off a 368.. Would it work the same as the one
          from a 425?

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Steve"

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2006
            Eric,

            Afaik, the rwd car pan from the 368 is same as the rwd pan from a
            425. It'll work, but the pu tube from a 368 may not work on a
            472/500. If not, you could buy a new pu tube for a '77-'79 425 rwd
            car.

            If your 368 pan is the weird eldo pan with welded sump, I have no
            idea if the pu tube will work on a 472/500.

            Dave