Service Ride Control

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006
      I have a 94 DeVille 4.9. Among other things, I am looking for any
      information on reducing body roll(Will the sway bar from a Concours
      make a difference?) and improving overall suspension performance.
      The car just turned 50k and I have been getting the "Service Ride
      Control" message since about 49,5k. My question is this: Without
      going to a dealer and having them plug into the suspension computer
      for a possibly simple and inexpensive fix, what are my options?
      There has been zero change in the system's performance so I am
      inclined to wonder if it's not just one of those 'pre'programmed
      points to check the system. Any thoughts?

      BTW, has anyone ever had any success with those 'magic' boxes that
      puts the computer in a loop at full throttle? One, in particular,
      claims upto a 22hp gain over stock.

      I also recently took my single tailpipe into a Flowmaster 80 series
      Camaro single 2 1/2" in dual 2 1/4" out muffler. Sound was
      definately better, the unsightly stock monster was gone, and my
      mileage on the road improved by about 3mpg. Then I went to a Fram
      Air Hog in the box and overall performance has been much better and
      my average mpg has gone up to 25 combined, mostly around town. I
      live in the high desert and on level ground at 4500 ft, my computer
      was telling me(however accurate that is) 34mpg at 80 mph, which is a
      very significant improvement over stock @ 27mpg. Just thought you
      all would like to know.

      Has anyone ever dialed a 4.9 cam and if so what was the spec?

      Thanks,
      Bill

      The sleeper awakens...and I always root for the underdog!
    • Sean Janne
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006
        Bill,
        The sway bar from a Concours will fit the base
        Deville. The Concours also had different struts that
        affected the handling as well, but those won't work
        with the base Devilles suspension system.
        To access the computer codes, just hold the "off"
        and the "warmer" button on the climate control
        console. Hold those for about 5 seconds and all the
        dash lights will illuminate in a test, and all the
        current and history codes for all the cars modules
        will be show. The suspension codes will begin with an
        "S", and all codes will be 4 characters, like S038,
        P031, etc. Just let me know what your car has for
        codes and I can tell you what's wrong.
        Those boxes that claim HP aren't any good. What
        they basically do is fool the air intake sensor into
        thinking it's colder than it is, so it adds more fuel.
        The problem is most computers will relearn and
        compensate for that.
        What you can do for a little more power is set the
        ignition timing ahead to 12 degrees, rather than the
        stock 10. The factory timing was a little low because
        the 4.9 doesn't have a knock sensor, and if you were
        to use low octane gas, it wouldn't hurt the engine.
        If you do advance the timing, just be sure to use
        premium all the time!
        There aren't any 4.9 cams made, but some people
        re-grind them for more power. The Fiero guys use a
        lot of 4.9s in swaps, so they are the ones that do
        most of the performance upgrades. From what I've
        read, doing the cam regrind requires new rocker arms,
        etc. So it can get expensive!

        Good luck!,

        Sean Janne
        2000 STS 4.6L Northstar
        1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
        1979 Sedan Deville 472
        Cadillac Hot Rod page
        http://members.tripod.com/~CadillacMan/79cadpage.html

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Brian Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006

          Hey Sean and Bill,

          I’m one of the “Fiero Folks” lurking here J  The 4.9 is a very sweet engine.  I have a stock 4.9 engine in mine, but as I understand it, there are two grinds.  A more conservative one that does not require other mods to the valvetrain, and another that does.

          I think Rockcrawl (Jon Lagler) offers one.  He is at…

          http://www.fieroaddiction.com

          He also sells performance chips that work very nicely.  My brother-in-law has one.

          or try Bubba Joe at…

          http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbajoexx/

          Brian

          ’85 Fiero daily driver GT with a 2 year old Ed Parks installed 4.9 J

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
            Sean,

            Thanks loads for your response. I had the test info for my 83 but
            not for the 94. I appreciate that detail. Also, I am hoping that
            the ride control problem IS simple as I realize that in all of
            Cadillac's wisdom, they somehow have made the lower performace
            suspension the most troublesome, potentially. If not by design, by
            accessability and servicability. I have been under the car and kinda
            hoped that the Concourse bar would work. I need it because when I
            travel from Reno tto So. Oregon coast, to see my daughter, it's 428
            one-way and close to 270 on mountain backroads. I maintain a pretty
            good clip for terminal speed, I use the road and depend on suspension
            factors to 'work' it. I am not shy and never overdrive the car. I
            do have fun with the car and those guys in Beemers and an occasional
            Porsche, who think that high performance and handling is all about
            the "drag race" between the corners. Many times, I have managed to
            intimidate the hell out of them, even and especially with my 83 4100
            Sedan. Imagine that, you spend $65k on your Euroride, so that you
            can go faster than the next guy, and you get absolutely humbled by a
            relatively stock, white-walled, 4400+ lb., underpowered, vinyl-
            topped, and hub-capped 23 yr. old "Made in America" Cadillac!!!
            That's gotta hurt in the worst way. Of course it helps to know the
            road. But still, it validates the tortoise and the hare. The sad
            part of this scenario is the fact that the aforementioned SDV IS, in
            fact, better handling than my 94 which is lighter and more powerful.
            I can still adapt, but it's got so much body roll, that the oversteer
            is going to send me into swapping ends before the edge of adhesion.
            It hasn't yet, but my terminal speeds are almost 10 mph slower than
            what I can do with my 83, and that just won't do.

            I know, you must be thinking "What's the guy expecting out of a
            Cadillac?". Well, I've had 9 over the past 25 years, including a 59
            and they were all Cad powered, they were all dressed good enough to
            take to the dance, and every one of them could cut a pretty
            respectable rug once on the dance floor. So, while I'm not out to
            set Laguna Seca on fire, I'd really enjoy being able to get to the
            race with a minimum of traffic problems.

            So, far the 4.9 has responded well to the 80 series Flowmaster and
            Fram Air Hog, however, I have noticed that fuel efficiency has
            dropped in the 1700-2100 rpm range(best guess, no tach), which is
            unfortunately my cruise range. In the first 2 weeks I was
            getting 'instant mpg' of 34mpg@70mph, now I'm only seeing 25mpg on
            the same stretch under the same conditions, better if I go faster up
            to 80 mph. I'm wondering if I am starting to have the beginnings of
            converter probs. I will monitor, it seems about all I can do. I
            will also do the test and send you the codes for deciphering.

            Thanks Again,
            Bill
          • Sean Janne
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
              > So, far the 4.9 has responded well to the 80 series
              > Flowmaster and
              > Fram Air Hog, however, I have noticed that fuel
              > efficiency has
              > dropped in the 1700-2100 rpm range(best guess, no
              > tach), which is
              > unfortunately my cruise range.
              >
              > Thanks Again,
              > Bill

              Bill,
              There is an override on the IPC you can do so that
              you can view the RPM's, coolant temp and battery
              volts. If you'd like it, I can email the directions
              to you. I drive my '94 Deville with the coolant temp
              displayed, just in case anything happens! And a few
              months ago, my lower rad hose popped off, and I new
              something was wrong when I saw the engine temps go
              past 230 and not stop! Luckily I stopped the car
              before any of the warning messages came on. If I
              didn't have the temps displayed on the DIC, I never
              would have known something was wrong until the warning
              messages come on. The problem is they don't come on
              until the temp is over 250!

              Sean Janne
              2000 STS 4.6L Northstar
              1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
              1979 Sedan Deville 472
              Cadillac Hot Rod page
              http://members.tripod.com/~CadillacMan/79cadpage.html

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Preston III
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
                Wow, I thought I was the only one that believed that.

                I too, have an '84 Coupe Deville, and a '94 Fleetwood Brougham.  That
                '94 just doesn't handle nearly as well as the '84.  The '94 seems to
                wallow and float, whereas the '84 seems much more stable and solid.

                Truthfully, I don't think the '94 will last nearly as well as the '84.

                Preston III

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
                  Hi Preston,

                  I weighed my 94 with 8 gals. on board and less than 120 lbs in the
                  trunk, it weighed in at 3950, that's approx. 500 lbs. less than my
                  83. Considering that your Brougham is on a completely different
                  chassis(I believe that it shares much with the Impala)and it's RWD, I
                  would have hoped for more than you state. I read that some
                  suspension components are interchangable with the Impala SS of the
                  same vintage(94-96), perhaps you might look that way to improve on
                  your handling. I have always liked your model of Fleetwood, because
                  I am and always will be a RWD fan, no matter what is to be said about
                  FWD! I just like the way RWD sets up and power-to-weight
                  distribution works. It's just more dependable when the chips are
                  down. If FWD were all THAT great, then why aren't there any FWD
                  NASCARS or open wheel cars? I mean, just imagine how good the Viper
                  would work with FWD instead of RWD(yuk)? Now THAT would be
                  entertainment...lol!

                  Bill
                  97 STS
                  94 DeVille