Tire and Wheel Information needed for 1974 Cadillac

  • Geary
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2006
      I have 2 questions regarding tires and wheels for a 1974 Professional
      Chassis. First, what is the bolt pattern for the wheels? I have
      conflicting information saying that it is 4 ¾ inches and that it is 5
      inches.

      Second, what is the proper tire size for that car? The tire size in
      the owner's manual and in the glove box is listed as 8:90-15. What
      does that convert to in p-metric terms?

      Thanks,
      Geary
    • South Shore Farms
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2006
        5 on 5" is standard GM 2WD truck, and big GM cars until the fullsize
        downsize of 77

        5 on 4.75 is old Chysler and is relatively uncommon.

        My 63 SDV, 63FW and all my early 70's devilles and limos are 5 on 5"

        8.9 inches

        1 inch = 25.4 mm

        8.9 X 25.4 = 226.06 mm

        therefore 8.9" is a P225 in metrci

        I have 2 questions regarding tires and wheels for a 1974 Professional
        Chassis. First, what is the bolt pattern for the wheels? I have
        conflicting information saying that it is 4 ¾ inches and that it is 5
        inches.

        Second, what is the proper tire size for that car? The tire size in
        the owner's manual and in the glove box is listed as 8:90-15. What
        does that convert to in p-metric terms?

        Thanks,
        Geary

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Versatile Couple in North Texas
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 10:54 PM
          Geary,

          I too have a 1974 Cadillac ProCar - Cerberus, a Superior Crown
          Sovereign Endloader/Combination. The commercial chassis uses the 5x5
          wheel and the tire size commonly being used to replace the 8.90-15 or
          N78-15 is the P235/75R15. I have upgraded my tires and actually went
          a little smaller on front and larger on the rear. I'm using BFG
          Radial T/A's and running P235/70R15 in front and P255/70R15 in the
          rear. I went with this combination to give my coach a slight "hot
          rod" rake and by going two sizes larger, I'm also gaining in the fuel
          economy department. Roughly, at 60 mph, I'm actually doing close to
          70 mph which allows the 472 to run at a lower rpm and still have the
          same speed as if I were actually doing 70. You're also open to
          running a slightly larger size front and rear if you're wanting to
          retain a completely "stock" look.

          The Hearse Guy in North Texas,
          Frank

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Geary"
          <ghare@...> wrote:

          > I have 2 questions regarding tires and wheels for a 1974
          Professional
          > Chassis. First, what is the bolt pattern for the wheels? I have
          > conflicting information saying that it is 4 ¾ inches and that it is
          5
          > inches.
          >
          > Second, what is the proper tire size for that car? The tire size in
          > the owner's manual and in the glove box is listed as 8:90-15. What
          > does that convert to in p-metric terms?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Geary

        • Tommy Pierson
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29 8:07 AM
            Yet another 74 Superior owner here.
            5" on 5", but be careful with rims. The rims that came with the car
            are riveted, unlike regular GM rims. If you are going to put
            aftermarket rims on, make sure they can handle the weight. Your car
            will weigh about 6,600 lbs empty, so the tires should be extra load
            and rated accordingly.
            Have you looked at Coker?

            http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?
            productid=17314&cat=&page=1