472 smog pump elimination

  • frankloyydwhite
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
      anyone know how to bypass the smog pump system for a 472?
    • Pollorey
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
        Take the vanes out of the pump....it then acts like an idler pulley....not
        hard to do

        anyone know how to bypass the smog pump system for a 472?

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • RGermain
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
          I read somewhere that somone used a smog pump as a
          sort of supercharger.

          Using the output from the air pump to pressurize the
          intake air

          --- Pollorey <philsfcs@...> wrote:

          > Take the vanes out of the pump....it then acts like
          > an idler pulley....not
          > hard to do

          Check out http://www.geocities.com/atdnr

          and www.alicorne.com
        • Pollorey
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
            Actually...you can impove performance by hooking up the suction of the air
            pump to the crankase..it create a vacuum in the oil pan and reduces the
            windage and pumping losses...and oil leaks!....worth a try! This is a trick
            used by racers....they hook up a check valves on the exhaust headers that
            take advantage of the suction pulses. It would make me nervous though to
            have the exhaust connected to the oil pan.....probably not too reliable for
            a daily driver
            To connect it to the intake would be a TOTAL waste of time!

            ____

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
              here is one guys idea....

              http://www.turborick.com/dirt.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
                RGermain,

                It'll work very well. On a 5 or so horse engine, like a go-cart, etc.
                Dave