Engine Change?

  • cadmadmax
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2005
      I have a 56 Coupe De Ville, I want to change to a newer engine. I
      want an engine that has unleaded heads and few to no electronic
      control devices on the carb. I am looking at a "74" 472 engine/trans.
      I am not sure if the "73" has unleaded heads. My reasons are that I
      have the original engine, both heads are cracked, I bought another
      engine and both heads were cracked, also the 4 speed jetaway is a bad
      design. I want to just throw a newer engine/trans setup and get back
      to restoring and driving the car again. I will straighten out the
      original stuff at a later date. I have had this car for thiry-five
      years now and have always had tranny troubles on and off and have
      replaced it twice. I just want to drive it some more. Max
    • Max
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        I have a 56 Coupe De Ville, FORGET ABOUT IT. I don't want to change
        now!
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2005
          My 1973 caddy was unleaded, had all the warning stickers etc. Hope
          that helps. also, we are in the process of doing an engine swap on a
          57 caddi-dropping in a 472 out of a 69.
          We already see that the motor mounts are going to have to be moved
          about an inch. Also you may have to change the oil pan from a front
          oilpump to a rear oilpump set up so the pan clears those steering
          thingies-[cant remember the correct terminology]. also there may not
          be enough clearance for the fan and radiator.....guess we'll figure it
          out eventually....but hope this gives you an idea on what to look out
          for. Good Luck