Brake Failure - Rapid loss of fluid under car

  • meistercleider
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005
      Make: Cadillac
      Model: Fleetwood DeVille (Coupe)
      Year: 1986
      Engine: 4.1

      My caddy is all OEM and mint condition with less than 100,000 miles.

      Problem: No brakes. Pedal goes to the floor.

      Symptoms:

      No indications of problem prior to breakdown. The other night I was on
      the freeway and when I attempted to stop at the off ramp signal, I had
      to put the caddy in nuetral and vear off the road to keep from
      crashing into the car in front of me. The pedal went to the floor. No
      pressure at all. I had her towed home.

      Solutions Attempted:

      Checked the master cylinder and everything was copastetic, except for
      its low level. I filled with fluid and started the car. Brakes spongy
      and then quickly gave out and went to the floor. I looked underneath
      to determine if a line near the wheel burst. No. On the front
      passenger side I could see brake fluid had sprayed toward the wheel
      well, but looks like it came from the engine area.
    • Brian Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005
        Message
        Hey,
        I'm surprised that it went to the floor with a single leak.  With the dual system that modern cars have, you should only have lost 1/2 of the brakes unless it was a master cylinder failure.  The brakes were normal prior to that?  But whatever, locating the leak should be straightforward.  And after you fix it/have it fixed watch the master cylinder.  Normally, when you press the brakes, the piston only travels about 1/2 of the full stroke of the cylinder.  When your brakes failed, you pressed the piston the fill length of the cylinder.  Unless you are VERY religious about changing the brake fluid on a very regulat basis, there will be crud build up on the walls of the cylinder where the piston does not usually travel.  The piston will keep the 1/2 usual travel area clean, but the other 1/2 will build up grunge over time.  When you press the pedal to the floor the seals of the piston are moved over the grunge.  This damages the seals and a few days later, the master cylinder will totally fail.  No pressure in either system and you will again have no brakes.  I found this out after doing several brake repairs on a few of my cars.  I'd replace something that was leaking (wheel cylinder, or caliper), bleed the brakes by having my wife pump the pedal and I'd be at the wheel bleeding.  I would have her press the pedal to the floor, and then a few days later the master cylinder would be bad.  This happened to a couple of cars and I started to get curious that there was something going on.  I asked around, and heard that this was what was happening.

        Good luck with yours,
        Brian
        '85 "Almost Black" '85 Fiero GT with Ed Parks 4.9L DeVille engine :)

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005

          I’ve seen brake lines rust out right in the middle. Lie under the car with a light and have someone else push the brake peddle.

          Corey

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
            check the brake line.

            http://mail.yahoo.com