500 heads

  • willys57pu
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9 8:24 PM
      hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on 70 and
      up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
      toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from memory
      that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find out is
      how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not a 74
      and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of the
      road
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 10 8:36 AM
        willys57pu,

        The 68-73 heads have a heart shaped chamber. A 74 -76 head will have a
        sort of a "D" shaped chamber.

        The 74-76 500 piston will be almost a flat top, with a very shallow,
        round, flat bottom recess of apx 2.5" diameter. If it does not have
        such a piston, it's either a pre '74 500, or a 472.

        Btw - I assume that you've measured the stroke, and it is 4.304"
        [almost 4 & 5/16". A 472 will be 4 & 1/16".
        Dave

        " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
        > hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on 70
        and
        > up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
        > toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from memory
        > that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find out
        is
        > how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not a 74
        > and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of the
        > road
      • willys57pu
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11 6:50 PM
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
          brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
          > willys57pu,
          >
          > The 68-73 heads have a heart shaped chamber. A 74 -76 head will
          have a
          > sort of a "D" shaped chamber.
          >
          > The 74-76 500 piston will be almost a flat top, with a very
          shallow,
          > round, flat bottom recess of apx 2.5" diameter. If it does not have
          > such a piston, it's either a pre '74 500, or a 472.
          >
          > Btw - I assume that you've measured the stroke, and it is 4.304"
          > [almost 4 & 5/16". A 472 will be 4 & 1/16".
          > Dave
          >

          > " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
          > > hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on
          70
          > and
          > > up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
          > > toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from
          memory
          > > that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find
          out
          > is
          > > how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not
          a 74
          > > and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of
          the
          > > road.hey thanks dave they have the heart shaped chambers.and the
          stroke says its a 500
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 14 1:27 PM
            Willys,

            Good deal. A set of KNs or e-bay Ross pistons, and you'll have a 10-1
            compression bad boy.
            Dave